removing stainless rivets

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

removing stainless rivets

Postby mccool » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:40 pm

I remember, in the dim recesses of time. the horrors of removing those furshlugginer stainless rivets. I was hoping that since then, better, more effective ways had been invented to get them out w/o damaging the the hole or the surrounding structure. I'm looking at disassembling some parts and would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations. Youtube has let me down on this one.
mccool

Re: removing stainless rivets

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:06 pm

Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby mccool » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:18 pm

Stainless rivets are a whole different animal. They work harden at the slightest excuse. You can't often get a grip on the back side. They laugh at HSS drill bits, and if I remember correctly, titanium bits didn't fare much better.. To be fair, sometimes I got it right and got the head off with no problems.
mccool

Postby Lionel Smead » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:31 pm

Use a 115 deg tip #30 bit,do not dril'l at high speed,or push to hard. Try not to spin the rivet,let the drill do the work. Jay Smead
Lionel Smead

Postby sonex892. » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:45 pm

Lionel Smead wrote:Use a 115 deg tip #30 bit,do not dril'l at high speed,or push to hard. Try not to spin the rivet,let the drill do the work. Jay Smead

l agree definitely cant get it hot or it will instantly harden the rivet and dull the bit. For the dome head ccp's I have had a higher success rate with sharp a larger diameter drillbit. Big enough so the head comes off before the outer cutting edge of the drill is or corner starts cutting. That is what I think tends to grab and spin the rivet. Also make sure the mandrel is punched down sufficiently.
Steve
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:48 pm

An old thread on the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2041

Bryan Cotton wrote:Pretty basic stuff but may be helpful for the new folks. Just remember to punch out the mandrel first. You should back up the part with a bucking bar or some heavy solid metal thing when you punch out the mandrel.

I buy cobalt drill bits 20 at a time. Some of them last 3 rivets and some seem to last forever. The one I am using now is from a Spruce order and it is still sharp after drilling a bunch of rivets.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to General Discussion