Trigear tires

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Trigear tires

Postby mccool » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:10 pm

Building a Legacy trigear, (unless I can find a standard gear mount before I get to the stage where I have to mount the gear).
I fly out of a grass strip so I'm going to use 500:5's on the mains. What have others done with the nose gear tire? Gone bigger as well, or kept the original size?
mccool

Re: Trigear tires

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:24 pm

Don't know what others have done - but if lifting the mains and not doing anything on the nose - you are going to reduce the prop tip clearance. So you might want to consider that.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby mccool » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:11 am

Good point, though the amount it would change, given the location of the nose wheel would be pretty minimal.
mccool

Postby BRS » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:13 pm

I'm curious. Can the trike get off the ground sooner than a conventional gear Sonex? Seems a trike would be able to rotate to a higher angle of attack while on ground roll than a tail wheel version.

Same thing with landing. I find the ground gets in the way of the tail wheel when trying to land slow.
Just something I noticed while flying last week.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:51 pm

BRS wrote:I'm curious. Can the trike get off the ground sooner than a conventional gear Sonex? Seems a trike would be able to rotate to a higher angle of attack while on ground roll than a tail wheel version.

Same thing with landing. I find the ground gets in the way of the tail wheel when trying to land slow.
Just something I noticed while flying last week.

It seems likely the trigear could have an advantage. On slow landings I stick the tailwheel first and then stall it onto the mains. Good video on the last YouTube link I posted in my Waiex 191 thread.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to General Discussion