Root rib installation - order of procedure

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Root rib installation - order of procedure

Postby dbdevkc » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:01 pm

I am questioning the way I am figuring on the root rib installation.

I have the wing skins fitted. I have the aft skins up-drilled, but the leading edge skin is not up-drilled/dimpled. I also do not have the aileron or flap hinges attached.

I figure I need to remove one of the aft skins so that I can drill through the aft root rib attach angles, up-drill, then rivet. While I have the skin off I can also drill the aileron bell crank support bracket in the other aft skin. Then reinstall that skin and remove the opposite side to drill the aileron bell crank support bracket in that first skin. Install the skin, then I can drill the holes through the skins into the root rib flange.

For the front root rib, I figure I have to do the same (remove the skin, drill and rivet the forward root rib to the attach angle, install the forward skin and drill the holes from skin to root rib flanges). One question is, should I up-drill the forward skin now, so that when I pull it off I can dimple everything, or should I just wait until I get the root rib installed since I will need to pull the skin again to dimple that anyway?

I have probably done things out of order a bit, but it is the only way that makes sense to me at this point.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Re: Root rib installation - order of procedure

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:50 pm

You have lost me here. I reviewed my thread and I think I had my root ribs drilled before skins.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=578&start=590

No harm in updrilling now I think. Make sure you turn the two lightning holes in the forward root ribs into one long oblong hole for flap pushrod bolting. That's page 60-something in my thread.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby lakespookie » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:23 pm

Sonex has an extra PDF posted on the drawing revision pages i believe that details the wing construction order for both squaring and order of construction of the Skins, But basically its Aft upper Aft Lower then leading edge, I went ahead and drilled the aileron bracket as i went along this necessitated the removal of the skins so basically square the wing install the aft upper drill the skin, to the ribs, then do the upper bracket holes a sharpie and then removing the skin work well, then do the aft lower once thats drilled flip the wing remove the aft upper mark your holes for the brackets, reattached the upper skin flip the wing remove lower skin drill the bracket reattach everything the proceed to leading edge,

As far as up drilling i up drill everything that does not get used for some other purpose, for example the front and back row of the aft upper skin stays at the pilot hole size since you will overlap the Front skin and for the aft you are going to have to attach the control hinges. My rule of thumb is don't up drill anything that you will need to use for another piece if that makes sense.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby Sonex1674 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:07 am

Thanks for the explanation of the wing construction. I'm just finishing my spars and will moving to the ribs and wing skins next.
Generally, the plans lack a page by page general order of construction and completion.
Sonex1674

Postby lakespookie » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:33 pm

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, my EAA builders log below also has a bunch of post with pictures of the process, i made some mistakes along the way, Also if you dont have the narrow head manual rivert puller and a rivet wedge you are going to want those for the first 3-5 ribs.
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Postby lakespookie » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:55 pm

Don't quote me on this there should be a post in the forums about the narrow nose rivet puller but i think PRG412 or PRG410 should be the PN you will have to get it used i got mine on ebay, i got the 412 which has a swappable nose piece for two rivet sizes the 410 is a single rivet size only.
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Return to General Discussion