Lift Reserve Indicator

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Lift Reserve Indicator

Postby Darick » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:00 pm

To all those considering an AOA indicator...

I recently installed Kelly Meiste's AOA on my as yet unfinished left wing. Unfortunately, even though reading his instructions about being careful, I broke off one of the barbed fittings flush with the probe.

I emailed him about repairing it or buying a new one if unrepairable. As he requested, I sent it back to him and received the repaired probe in short order. He didn't charge me anything!! His customer service is exemplary!

Thank you Kelly!
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby daleandee » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:31 pm

Last edited by daleandee on Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Postby Spaceman » Fri May 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Does anyone know what size tubing comes with the Value Engineering LRI? (this one: https://sites.google.com/site/lrikit/)

I'm planning on putting one in my left wing, mirroring the pitot tube on the right. So I'm going to install the little tabs on the inboard few ribs with grommets, just like for the pitot/static lines. I'm just trying to figure out what size holes and grommets I need for the tubing.

Thanks!!
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby onex28 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:24 am

The tubing that came with my LRI from Value Engineering is 5/16 OD and 3/16 ID. Be sure to warm the tube end before pushing it straight on to the LRI fittings. Lubricant also helps.

David
onex28

Postby Onex107 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:27 am

I built the same one from plans on the internet. It couldn't be simpler. Nothing to invent. The only big cost is the differential pressure gage for about $60. Once you have it calibrated for your stall speed you will be able to make slower landings with confidence. The hard part is drilling the two holes in the aluminum probe. I made it in two pieces of 1/4 inch and scored the hole center lines with a Dremmel cutoff wheel to help the drill stay centered. Worked the first time.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby Dennis W. » Sun May 21, 2017 12:30 pm

Same here. I built the probe from plans on the internet and hooked up to my MGL Enigma. So far works great. Used a piece of scrap AL stock to make the probe, two barbed fittings and some aquarium silicon air pump hose to hook it up....total cost about 5 bucks.
Dennis W.

Postby Spaceman » Sun May 21, 2017 8:34 pm

onex28 wrote:The tubing that came with my LRI from Value Engineering is 5/16 OD and 3/16 ID. Be sure to warm the tube end before pushing it straight on to the LRI fittings. Lubricant also helps.

David

Perfect, thanks!
Chris Paegelow
Spaceman

Postby Spaceman » Sun May 21, 2017 9:19 pm

Onex107 wrote:I built the same one from plans on the internet. It couldn't be simpler. Nothing to invent. The only big cost is the differential pressure gage for about $60. Once you have it calibrated for your stall speed you will be able to make slower landings with confidence. The hard part is drilling the two holes in the aluminum probe. I made it in two pieces of 1/4 inch and scored the hole center lines with a Dremmel cutoff wheel to help the drill stay centered. Worked the first time.

Dennis W. wrote:Same here. I built the probe from plans on the internet and hooked up to my MGL Enigma. So far works great. Used a piece of scrap AL stock to make the probe, two barbed fittings and some aquarium silicon air pump hose to hook it up....total cost about 5 bucks.

That's pretty cool; do you guys have a link to the plans you used?
Chris Paegelow
Spaceman

Postby Dennis W. » Sun May 21, 2017 10:11 pm

Dennis W.

Postby Spaceman » Mon May 22, 2017 6:03 am

Awesome, thanks​!
Chris Paegelow