Size of Sonex B vs RV7

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Size of Sonex B vs RV7

Postby jetjocal » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:44 pm

All:
Just a question out of curiosity. I just ordered a Sonex B quick build kit. I have built and flown 3 RVs in the past. Two 8s and a 7A. A friend said that the Sonex is a
“Toy” compared to the RV. I did not like the comment but I have never seen one up close!
What are your thoughts?
Thanks
Al
jetjocal

Re: Size of Sonex B vs RV7

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:53 pm

Definitely smaller, less speed and payload. What are toys for? Fun! All costs are also smaller. The RV7 is more airplane.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby mike.smith » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:39 pm

I flew in an RV-7 recently, and I'm currently building one. I would not call the RV-7 "roomy" by any stretch. Having a bench seat in a Sonex helps. No bench seat in the RV-7.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby pappas » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:54 am

I built an RV-8 and am finishing a 7A right now. I have hundreds of hours in lots of RVs of all models. I also built 2 Sonex models, a legacy Waiex and a B Waiex, and have hundreds of hours in them as well.

The RV is heavier, faster, has 4 inches more shoulder room, carries more, has more range, and costs significantly more to build, fly, repair, and feed than the Sonex. I was happy with both Sonex products and I also like my RV's. They are different. The only thing I had to get used to coming from an RV to a Sonex was reduced cruise speed. But it was really easy to get used to burning 5.2 gph.

The Sonex is more nimble and very fun to fly. The RV is more comfortable on a longer flight. Pick the highest HP engine for the Sonex that is supported by Sonex and you will come to really like the performance and love the cost per hour.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Return to General Discussion