Spin, engine quit

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Spin, engine quit

Postby builderflyer » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:03 am

That's also why aerobatics are initually done in Phase I over an approved test area with consideration given to where an emergency landing may take place. The maneuvers tested then must be recorded and only those can be done when no longer in Phase I. Thems the rules noted in the Operating Limitations, at least in mine.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:39 am

Art,
My DAR said it differently. I'm out of phase 1, but until I sign off a maneuver in the aircraft logbook, I can only do them within phase 1 limitations.

I did a stall, a bunch of rolls, and my first loop today. No engine quits. Sometimes I get some hesitation at the top of the roll and sometimes not. There is a balance between pulling enough g on the top and not too much, because too much pull and you end up nose down. Oil pressure has been good through all the maneuvers.

So the first loop was scary, as I haven't done one in 30 years and had never done one solo. But it went ok. I only pulled 3G, I'm still acclimating to the G forces.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby builderflyer » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:14 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:Art,
My DAR said it differently. I'm out of phase 1, but until I sign off a maneuver in the aircraft logbook, I can only do them within phase 1 limitations.

Interesting.........just before I received my Operating Limitations 18 years ago there was a move to unify them throughout the country as they were not all the same at the time. I thought this had been accomplished but apparently not. Having arbritary limitations in different parts of the country leads to inconsistenties and potential unfairness to those in the experimental community or to those who buy into it at a later date. Oh well........

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:17 pm

So I was issued new OL's when I changed my tail number. And while I was at it moved my Phase 1 area from the original builder's (in SC) to my area in RI.

The inspector from the Boston FSDO commented that these were the "standard template we have been introducing - including the Phase 1 test areas which are worked out already based on your home airport".

Here is what mine have to say about acro. The middle paragraph is a little unclear - talking about flying acro in Phase II.

But the third para makes it clear that establishing acro maneuvers is done in Phase I (Click on image to see in full)

OL's.jpg
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:27 pm

Going from phase 1 to phase 2 was a logbook entry. What my DAR was saying was you make a logbook entry going back into phase 1, do and document the maneuvers, and you can go back into phase 2. So I think we agree that it is a phase 1 activity - but the disconnect is how we switch phases.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:56 pm

"Put aircraft back into Phase I in order to test XXXXXXXXXX" Date, Signature, Certificate Number.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:17 pm

Yes, although I'm doing:
"Put aircraft back into Phase I in order to expand aerobatic envelope" Date, Signature, Certificate Number.

"XXXXXXXXXX maneuver(s) demonstrated successfully. Put aircraft back into Phase 2." Date, Signature, Certificate Number.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby builderflyer » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:54 am

Graeme, my "OL" look a lot like your "OL" so maybe there is now some consistency across the country and across time. The only other comment I have is that my insurance policy becomes invalid if I place my Sonex back in Phase I, something I hadn't noticed until after testing four of Prince's props under Phase I. Don't know if all policies have that same language but this could be of concern to some.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Arjay » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:30 am

Bryan:
Do you float (at zero g) across the top of your loop? No engine hesitation there? How about when pulling g’s on the back side and finish of the loop?
Ron
Arjay

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:11 pm

Arjay wrote:Bryan:
Do you float (at zero g) across the top of your loop? No engine hesitation there? How about when pulling g’s on the back side and finish of the loop?
Ron

Ron,
From my G meter tell-tales I got as low as a half-G. I think during one of my rolls this morning I managed 0G. It sounds like the engine is hesitating on the up line and across the top but on the back side/finish it is ok - but I've got power out on the downhill run.

I did about 5 loops this morning. Still getting acclimated. I had been finishing loops a little higher than I started. I have been doing the dive to 140, which requires a lot of throttle reduction to stay below 3400 RPM. I level off, note the altitude, then pull. I've been doing about 3.5G. By vertical I am back to full throttle and I pull it off as I pass the top.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion