Corrosion Treatments

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Corrosion Treatments

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:54 am

Did a search on this topic and only found ACF-50.

Surely there are other products that can be used to "fog" the cavities (wings, etc) of a completed aircraft.

I should like to hear from one and all about products they would recommend? and those they would not?

Reasons for and against would also be interesting.
Skippydiesel

Re: Corrosion Treatments

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:31 am

I use Corrosion-X.

I don't think there is much to choose between it and ACF-50. I use C-X because it was the first I used - so the fogger is filmed with it.

Here on a salty breeze coast - I consider it a must. Especially as the Sonex's are not made of AlClad - with its inherent anti-corrosion film of pure aluminum.

For the Belly - I use Valvoline VR-1 - which the engine is happy to provide regular doses of. :-)
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby tx_swordguy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:42 pm

I also use corrosion X. Pro. It works and is easy to use with the appropriate equipment.
Con. It will drip and ooze from everywhere for several months and in the sonex you will have an odor in the cockpit for a couple of weeks. Doesn’t bother me but did bother the wife who looks for a reason not to fly lol. Also will be difficult to paint afterwards. I am hearing don’t paint for at least a year after treatment and then clean as well as possible. All in all I am glad I am doing it. It will also help with electrical conductivity in connections such as lights. The builder of my sonex used the frame to ground the lights not all the way back to the bus like you should. I was getting 1.5 volt drop in the line which caused problems with the conventional lights. I sprayed the light fixtures and wiring grounds and it would work. I ended up going led that cleared the problem for good, but I have read the military uses it on helicopters and it has made the electrical components more reliable.
Mark
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:12 pm

My Sonex has been undercoated (during construction)and painted BUT is currently parked in the open (with a full fitted cover) I am concerned about the potential for condensate to do damage inside the cavities - hence my interest in using a corrosion inhibitor.
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:05 pm

Odd! - I would have thought that methods of corrosion prevention would be a "hot topic" for pilots of metal aircraft.
Skippydiesel

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:53 pm

I also use "Salt-Away" when washing the plane. First in the "pre-wet" and then in the final rinse.

It is a chelating agent that seeps into overlapped seams and "inerts" salt compounds to reduce corrosion. Used by the US Coast Guard, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Space-X....

https://www.saltaway.com/aircraft
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:45 pm

Graeme,

You are not only a gentleman your generosity (of experience/knowledge) knows no bounds,
Skippydiesel

Postby builderflyer » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:46 am

Skippydiesel wrote:Odd! - I would have thought that methods of corrosion prevention would be a "hot topic" for pilots of metal aircraft.

Not for the large numbers of Sonex owners who don't store their aircraft in a corrosive environment. As you likely know, the Sonex is constructed of 6061-T6 aluminum which is an aluminum silicon alloy and has much LESS tendency to corrode than say 2024-T3 aluminum which is an aluminum copper alloy and which RVs are constructed of. My Sonex was previously hangared within the daily sea breeze of the Pacific Ocean for 12 years and it didn't suffer any corrosion during that time. So for most of us, corrosion of our prize possession is just not a significant concern.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261

Edited
builderflyer

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:55 pm

builderflyer wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:Odd! - I would have thought that methods of corrosion prevention would be a "hot topic" for pilots of metal aircraft.

Not for the large numbers of Sonex owners who don't store their aircraft in a corrosive environment. ....................................................................
Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261

Edited

Hi BF - fair comment and my Sonex is parked a good 1 hours drive from the same Pacific (western side). I note your aircraft was/is "hangered" which could make quite a difference (over time) to my poor girl, out in the open.
Skippydiesel

Return to General Discussion