Keep building!

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Keep building!

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:24 pm

For 4 1/2 years as I built my Sonex, I dreamt of evenings where I could fly it and just soak in the moment. During the build process, my brother Mike, who was my inspiration in aviation and building, passed away from cancer. (One of our Sonex brethren has his RV kit)

For those of you still building, still troubleshooting, still working on the project….keep at it.

This evening was magic.

I am based in the Chicago suburbs (for now) and just southwest of my home field are endless fields and open space. I departed this evening off runway 36, climbed out over a local park where my wife was mountain biking, headed west over the airpark my in-laws live at, and flew by my neighborhood at 2500’.

The sky was amazing. Blue, some wispy clouds….the temperature was perfect. 84°F on the ground, about 78° at 2500’. I headed southwest.

My friend, a pilot for a regional, had told me when he was headed into the local big airport, and said he would call me on our frequency that we chat on when we fly formation. So I headed out over the open fields, cruising at 2750 RPM and 2500’ just grinning and soaking in the moment.

My Sonex - the one we built in our garage (!!) - performed flawlessly. She purred as I headed out over nowhere in particular, tuned in listening for my friend. I knew when he would have a moment to call me, and generally where, so I headed out to where I knew he would be (albeit much, much lower).

The air was smooth, little bumps that are inevitable in June in the Midwest. The local drop zone was busy, so I stayed clear of them. As I turned to head back, my buddy came on frequency, asking if I was up. We shared about a minute of brief conversation - enough to remind me how lucky I am. To remind me how few get to do this.

As you build, as you dream, as you struggle - keep going. It is so worth it.

Looking out at wings you built, keeping you aloft.

Listening to the engine you installed, moving you forward.

Hearing your friends chatter.

Keep at it my friends. The end result is priceless.

I was thinking of Mike. Of how he would have loved this. And how he inspired me.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Keep building!

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:30 pm

hi robbie,

beautiful! thanks for sharing.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:13 am

Well written Robbie. And I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

I didn't fly tonight but have been flying often. And it is magic. Sometimes I'm flying with my oldest and co-builder, and teaching him what I know about flying. Sometimes I am flying with my youngest, who is struggling with some issues. We typically get up just before sunset as he is not up early in the day, and we just cruise around. Sometimes (more rarely now) I am flying solo, and when I am solo I am usually out pulling Gs, practicing my loops & rolls.

So yes brothers and sisters, stick with it. It's hard to finish but you must persevere, even if it takes a while like it did for me.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Nick » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:17 pm

Great words and sorry to hear about your brother. But he Knows how you feel and is with you on every flight.
Nick
Legacy Sonex Waiex 0179
Jabiru 3300 Gen1 Rotec WCH, EI, TBI
N908WX
Nick

Return to General Discussion