OAT Location

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

OAT Location

Postby Nick » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:16 pm

Does anyone have an opinion of where to put the OAT bulb at. I am looking to put it on the pilot side a little forward of cockpit opening. Just for short wire run to IEFIS.

Nick
Nick
Legacy Sonex Waiex 0179
Jabiru 3300 Gen1 Rotec WCH, EI, TBI
N908WX
Nick

Re: OAT Location

Postby daleandee » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:31 pm

Nick wrote:Does anyone have an opinion of where to put the OAT bulb at. I am looking to put it on the pilot side a little forward of cockpit opening. Just for short wire run to IEFIS.

Nick

My OAT probe is in the left side NACA vent ...

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Taikwheel
daleandee

Postby Jerry09w » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:09 am

It is best to have it where it gets no sun or engine heat, bottom of the wing is common. I put mine on the inspection plate wher you access the flap control linkage in the wing.
Jerry09w

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:42 am

A couple good Ideas at least on the inspection plate I can wire it up now and wait until I install the wings. I was waiting to run the engine and have all the wiring done before I install the cowls. I was planning on doing the NACA vents on the Cowls after fitting them.
Thanks for the info and quick response, I'm working on EFIS today and would like to have all the wiring done.

Nick
Nick
Legacy Sonex Waiex 0179
Jabiru 3300 Gen1 Rotec WCH, EI, TBI
N908WX
Nick

Postby daleandee » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:04 pm

Nick wrote:A couple good Ideas at least on the inspection plate I can wire it up now and wait until I install the wings. I was waiting to run the engine and have all the wiring done before I install the cowls. I was planning on doing the NACA vents on the Cowls after fitting them.
Thanks for the info and quick response, I'm working on EFIS today and would like to have all the wiring done.

Nick

Just to clarify a bit ... my OAT is in the NACA vent (on the pilot side of the fuselage) that is for cockpit cooling. The sensor is far enough inside to keep the sun off of it. Not sure but seems that if you used a NACA vent on the cowl that the OAT could be compromised by engine heat. You can see the side vent in this photo:

daleandee

Postby builderflyer » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:09 am

Nick wrote:Does anyone have an opinion of where to put the OAT bulb at. I am looking to put it on the pilot side a little forward of cockpit opening. Just for short wire run to IEFIS.

Nick

Nick, my adahrs box is located just behind the baggage area so the shortest run for the OAT bulb was to a location beneath the right horizontal stabilizer. That keeps it in the shade and clear of exhaust gas influence and it seems to report accurately.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby tps8903 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:20 am

Also have mine in the NACA vent on the pilot side for cockpit cooling air. Works perfectly.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Return to General Discussion