Form Blocks - To Make or Buy?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Form Blocks - To Make or Buy?

Postby Timmyjane » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:25 pm

Do most people make their own form blocks or go ahead and buy the kit from Sonex?
Timmyjane

Re: Form Blocks - To Make or Buy?

Postby n502pd » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:37 pm

I didnt see this prior to my most recent PM.
I used tracing paper for copying from plans, the parts I made, and made my own forming blocks out of good hard composit wood product (cant remember what its called!). experimented a bit with the process, and went ahead and made all formed aluminum. I felt as I was scratch building, why not make the tools, so I even made a 9 ft bending brake for the long parts! and a short brake for the small parts, and a special brake to make the very tight curved trailing edged of control surfaces. And, I did have a pile of 'Test" items when I was done! Again, just me, and a great retirement project!
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:38 pm

I've made form blocks for a scratch built Hummelbird. It's no big deal, especially if you are a committed scratch builder. But there is something to be said for one less thing to do.

There are a few scratch builders here, but I think you will find the majority of us got formed ribs in their kit.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby builderflyer » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:33 am

Timmyjane wrote:Do most people make their own form blocks or go ahead and buy the kit from Sonex?

Kits were not yet available (even the plans were not yet completed) when I began building my Sonex in early 1999 but I did purchase what was available at the time, including form blocks.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Eric W » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:47 pm

I made the form blocks for my plans build. Not a big deal. I used MDF. If going this route, you'll also need to make little form blocks for the tail leading edge ribs.

Only the legacy Sonex is available for plans-build though. Any of the B-models, Waiex or Onex - you'll get all the ribs with the kit.
Sonex 815, TD, dual stick (sold in 2013)
Jabiru 3300
Eric W

Return to General Discussion