Making a Sonex Faster (Speed)

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Making a Sonex Faster (Speed)

Postby daleandee » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:07 am

Friends, as it now appears under the NPRM us lowly Sport Pilots will be allowed more speed. In that light I'd like to ask the group about what to do to make a Sonex faster.

I'm aware that losing weight (both me & the plane), cleaning up the plane to make it even more slippery than it is, a higher cruise RPM (I currently use ~2900) and perhaps changing my climb prop for a cruise prop are all things that will help. But if anyone has specifics as to the buying or making of fairings, cooling mods they have made, easy weight loss secrets, etc. it would be good if you could share them.

Dan Weseman built a Corvair Sonex and he was recording 135 knots cruise down low but was turning the Corvair at higher RPM. These engines are not hurt by this but the fuel burn can get into the wallet. 8~)

TIA

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Re: Making a Sonex Faster (Speed)

Postby Scott Todd » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:47 am

Go watch this YouTube video on why the Ar-5 goes so fast. Its a must watch. Its totally worth the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxvoDbZpoY8

Scott
Scott Todd

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:54 am

Dale,
Kent Paser's book "Speed With Economy" is a must-read.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby GordonTurner » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:55 am

Dale….why would a good ‘ole boy wanna go faster?

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby daleandee » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:55 pm

GordonTurner wrote:Dale….why would a good ‘ole boy wanna go faster?

Gordon

Because ... 8~)
daleandee

Postby builderflyer » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:12 am

daleandee wrote:Friends, as it now appears under the NPRM us lowly Sport Pilots will be allowed more speed. In that light I'd like to ask the group about what to do to make a Sonex faster
TIA
Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel

Dale and others............Google "Dave Anders RV4". Dave is an ex-airpark neighbor of mine and he flies the fastest (most efficient) RV4 in existance. He's written Kitplanes articles describing what he's done to allow his RV4 to fly over 240 mph and achieve other unbelievable accomplishments. I had the pleasure of flying with Dave a couple of times and can't express in words, what a great ride it was. A number of the things he's done to his plane could be done to ours as well. All it takes to realize some improvement in our planes is for us to exhibit a fraction of the patience and passion that Dave has had for reducing "drag" over the past 30 years.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:24 am

I was flying my Aerovee powered Waiex S&L at 140 kts last night.

(For a moment after the dive and before the loop)
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby pappas » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:06 am

I routinely flight-planned my Legacy Waiex model with a 3300 Jab and recommended Sensenich cruise prop for 140 knots at 5.9 GPH. That was the norm for that plane.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby daleandee » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:15 pm

pappas wrote:I routinely flight-planned my Legacy Waiex model with a 3300 Jab and recommended Sensenich cruise prop for 140 knots at 5.9 GPH. That was the norm for that plane.

Might I inquire as to which Sensenich prop you had (length & pitch), your cruise RPM, and your cruise altitude? 5.9 is a higher fuel burn than I see but I'm usually loafing along.

I'm have a climb prop now to limit my plane to be light sport legal. If the cruise numbers increase as the NPRM suggest I know I can get a reasonable increase by doing some clean-up on the airframe, losing some weight, and using more of a cruise prop. I know that CG will also effect the speed but that changes as fuel burns off. As it is I can likely get the 140 knots at 8000 but it's been quite a while since I've went up that high to check it ...
daleandee

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:25 pm

Here's a question for you guys. At altitude do you turn a higher RPM? At 7500' the other day my IAS was only 90. I didn't check my true airspeed. That was probably high enough that I could run WOT and only make 60HP.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Next

Return to General Discussion