Registering my Waiex Form 8050-1

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Registering my Waiex Form 8050-1

Postby Tony4aro » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:59 am

Hi all,

So.... in the EAA guide, it shows the "Manufacture" as a persons name... and the model is the aircraft. To me.... it should be a Manufacture: Sonex, Model Waiex. should I put my name as "Make"? If that's the norm... it should say "Builder" or "Maker".

FYI... this was a kit, and not scratch built. So here again... to me... Sonex produced the kit.

Anyway... Let me know what you guys did.
Corvair powered Waiex (under construction)
N3848D
W0181
Tony4aro

Re: Registering my Waiex Form 8050-1

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:39 am

You assembled it - you are the manufacturer. That is one of the things that keeps liability from being an issue for the kit company. If Sonex was the manufacturer we would be paying Cessna prices for our kits.

I found it helpful to pick a DAR early. The good ones will look at your paperwork beforehand and help you through the process.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Tony4aro » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:53 am

Thanks for the quick reply on that !!
N3848D
W0181
Tony4aro

Postby Sonerai13 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:43 am

Tony4aro wrote:Hi all,

So.... in the EAA guide, it shows the "Manufacture" as a persons name... and the model is the aircraft. To me.... it should be a Manufacture: Sonex, Model Waiex. should I put my name as "Make"? If that's the norm... it should say "Builder" or "Maker".

FYI... this was a kit, and not scratch built. So here again... to me... Sonex produced the kit.

Anyway... Let me know what you guys did.

The EAA guide is correct. YOU are the manufacturer/builder. As such, the model can be anything you want it to be. The common practice is to use the kit name. In your case, that would be "Waiex". Most people use the kit serial number for the aircraft serial number, but as the manufacturer you can assign any serial number you want.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Tony4aro » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:09 am

Thanks for the input guys.

For giggles, I plugged my reserved N-number into the FAA site... and my info came up !! (Faster than I expected) Looks like I did the paperwork right. I'm guessing I will get some physical paperwork back soon. As far as my plane... I have some odds-n-ends to button up... build the cowl, and the canopy.... and it will be time to take it to the airport.
N3848D
W0181
Tony4aro

Return to General Discussion