Aerobrake puck and disc wear?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Aerobrake puck and disc wear?

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:08 pm

Greetings,

I pulled the wheels and brakes today, and was surprised to see how much wear there was on the stainless plate they use as a single sided disc. The plate is worn to the point where the bolt heads are starting to wear. I think I read this somewhere before, but assumed it would take a lot of hours to get to that point. I've got just over 100 hrs on the brakes, but maybe only about 175 landings. Our runway is 6500 ft, and I make no effort to stop at the early taxiway, but rather coast to the far taxiway to save wear and tear on the brakes. Hard to believe they're this worn, but I guess there just isn't much surface area to work with.

I'll order new parts (disc plates, bolts, pucks) totalling $183.50, though I may continue using these for a while longer. Does anyone have an unused puck handy? If so, how tall is it? Just wondering how much mine have worn. Mine are currently 0.37"-0.39" tall. The disc looks like it's worn around 0.032".

Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Re: Aerobrake puck and disc wear?

Postby Murray Parr » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:45 pm

They are most likely designed to wear down below the bolt heads somewhat. Maybe reach out to Sonex and see if they have any minimum thickness advice.
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby Waiex 0194 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:47 pm

I’m putting my brakes together now. The bolts tighten up flush with the disks, becoming part of the braking surface. The pucks are .625 inch thick.
Larry Kelly
Waiex 0194
Standard gear, AeroVee
Columbus, IN
Waiex 0194

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:59 pm

Waiex 0194 wrote:I’m putting my brakes together now. The bolts tighten up flush with the disks, becoming part of the braking surface. The pucks are .625 inch thick.

Thanks for the quick measurement. I guess mine are 40% gone. I couldn't remember about the height of the bolts, but I would swear the bolt heads were below the disc. I didn't take any pictures of this installation, but on a previous installation years ago, the heads were clearly below. it would really make sense to have the heads flush though.

I'll just place the order and see what the ETA is before making a decision on putting these back for now.

Thanks,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby Tony4aro » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:20 am

I'm still building, so there is no wear on my brakes. The bolt heads are just slightly lower than the face of the disk. maybe a 1/16"
Corvair powered Waiex (under construction)
N3848D
W0181
Tony4aro

Postby 13brv3 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:54 am

Tony4aro wrote:I'm still building, so there is no wear on my brakes. The bolt heads are just slightly lower than the face of the disk. maybe a 1/16"

That sounds about like what I remember, and what I see in the old picture.
Rusty
Attachments
Onex 0016a.jpg
Onex 0016a.jpg (63.36 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
Rusty
13brv3

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:51 am

My bolt heads are definitely wearing. I had no thoughts of replacing the rotors yet though. They seem to have lots of thickness left.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:58 pm

Has anyone tried to find other puck options for these brakes? I suppose Sonex might cut them inhouse, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're an off the shelf product for something else, like maybe kart racing.

I'm OK with Sonex price for the pucks, but I'd like some option for material. These are only described as "hard", but that's not super helpful. They seem to wear the SS disc pretty fast, so they must indeed be fairly hard. My brake force isn't what I'd like it to be, and I wonder if a softer compound for the puck would help. It would certainly wear faster, but also wouldn't wear the disc as much. Pucks are easy to change, so I wouldn't mind the extra wear.

My usual go-to for material is McMaster-Carr, and if this link works, it will go to a page that shows material with 3 different friction options in 5/8" thickness. https://www.mcmaster.com/products/brake ... ess~0-625/ I wish I knew where the Sonex pucks fit the friction range, then I might try making pucks with the next softer material. I wonder how long an end mill would last cutting brake lining material :-)

Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby Kai » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:04 am

Rusty,

Good idea!

Maybe some softer puck material could help. As it is now, stopping power is nothing to write home about, and the brakes will not hold the plane during ignition checks much above 3000 rpm, which is too slow for the Rotax. I´m not too concerned about premature wear- the wheels have to come off at least during the annual anyhow.

Kai
Kai

Postby 13brv3 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:56 am

Kai wrote:
Maybe some softer puck material could help. As it is now, stopping power is nothing to write home about, and the brakes will not hold the plane during ignition checks much above 3000 rpm, which is too slow for the Rotax.

Kai

Exactly. I can just barely hold the plane at 4000, but it's more effort than it's worth, so I do my runups at 3000 as well.

I'm tempted to order the smallest size of the softest material. I do worry about the fact that the puck has to have enough mechanical strength to resist breaking at the edge of the caliper cylinder. I'll probably send Sonex an email and ask if there are any specs on the material they supply, and if they have an option to get softer compounds.
Rusty
13brv3

Next

Return to General Discussion