Tailwheel Bearings

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Tailwheel Bearings

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:47 pm

Just a thought: With pneumatic tyres, is there any benefit/problems with proactively filling with one of the leak fixes in a bottle? eg "Slime"
Skippydiesel

Postby Murray Parr » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:48 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:Just a thought: With pneumatic tyres, is there any benefit/problems with proactively filling with one of the leak fixes in a bottle? eg "Slime"

A bit of extra weight and potentially out of balance comes to mind.

Could potentially mitigate the out of balance if you could run the wheels up to speed before it sets.
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby peter anson » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:54 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:Just a thought: With pneumatic tyres, is there any benefit/problems with proactively filling with one of the leak fixes in a bottle? eg "Slime"

My experience with "Slime" is all on off-road motorcycles. I have heard that it can work with thorn punctures which are a real danger in some parts of Australia, however if it doesn't work, the only repair is a new tube. You can't patch a tube with that stuff oozing out. I have had several punctures in main tyres as well as one tail wheel puncture. All of the punctures have been in side walls which probably indicate that I am running the pressures a bit low. I have never had the tyre turn on the rim but the holes have all been tiny splits in the rubber which I guess have been caused by the side wall flexing too much. The tail wheel puncture was definitely from running too low a pressure but I wasn't carrying a pump at the time so couldn't correct it. I always carry spare tubes when touring.

Peter
peter anson

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:39 pm

Murray Parr wrote:

A bit of extra weight and potentially out of balance comes to mind.

Could potentially mitigate the out of balance if you could run the wheels up to speed before it sets.

The one or two products, I have used on mower/bicycle tyres don't "set" in the tube. They may set in the vicinity of the fixed the hole, I don't know.
They have all been effective.
Part of application requires wheel to rotate - I assume to distribute material.
From imperfect memory, they claim a 5+ year life.
The amount put in depends on tyre dimensions - instructions on container.
Some claim that they don't prevent a more permanent repair - don't know.
I have never used the product(s) that will also inflate the tyre.
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:44 pm

peter anson wrote:

My experience with "Slime" is all on off-road motorcycles. I have heard that it can work with thorn punctures which are a real danger in some parts of Australia, however if it doesn't work, the only repair is a new tube. You can't patch a tube with that stuff oozing out. I have had several punctures in main tyres as well as one tail wheel puncture. All of the punctures have been in side walls which probably indicate that I am running the pressures a bit low. I have never had the tyre turn on the rim but the holes have all been tiny splits in the rubber which I guess have been caused by the side wall flexing too much. The tail wheel puncture was definitely from running too low a pressure but I wasn't carrying a pump at the time so couldn't correct it. I always carry spare tubes when touring.

Peter

Hi Peter,
What pressures are you using?
After some research, I opted for Mains 35 psi, however recently read that 40-50 psi may be better (certainly reduce wall flexing)
Skippydiesel

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:23 pm

Back to bearings, here is a picture showing the spacers/washers I made.
Screenshot_20231116-211833-041.png
Screenshot_20231116-211833-041.png (620.63 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Previous

Return to General Discussion