IS THERE A VIDEO DETAILING BUILDING SONEX WING?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

IS THERE A VIDEO DETAILING BUILDING SONEX WING?

Postby AlFromNY » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:38 pm

One thing I noticed when I received my tail kit in October, was that the plans were merely blueprints. With almost no idea how to begin, I was quite relieved to find (or perhaps someone in SonexBuilders linked me) the Youtube.series SONEX TAIL KIT STEP BY STEP BUILD.
I've watched each video at least twice and have just started doing actual work on the tail, and I was wondering . . .

IS THERE A SIMILAR VIDEO FOR BUILDING THE WING?
FUSELAGE?
ENGINE IONSTALLATION?
INSTRUMENT INSTALLATION?

Alan K.
AlFromNY

Re: IS THERE A VIDEO DETAILING BUILDING SONEX WING?

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:52 pm

Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Area 51% » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:40 pm

[quote="AlFromNY"]One thing I noticed when I received my tail kit in October, was that the plans were merely blueprints. With almost no idea how to begin,

Look at the building tree. Any box with a single line coming from it indicates those boxes need to be completed before moving on as they contain sub-assemblies for the next box up the tree.
Those single-line boxes can be completed in any order and the assemblies stored till needed.
Area 51%

Postby lakespookie » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:13 pm

I stream my builds every saturday afternoon, and am currently working on wings, if you stop in i can answer any questions on how to read the plans etc and show you some wing components and what not, I am pretty close to closing out the 2nd wing so keep that in mind, and i will taking a vacation late December. until early january.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby AlFromNY » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:11 pm

Thanks, Lakespookie, but California's a little far; and thanks for the links Bryan Cotton, I guess I will have to figure it out from the plans. I imagine that should get a lot easier as I progress with the tail kit. The Building the Sonex Tail Kit video, however, was quite valuable.
AlFromNY

Postby mike.smith » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:17 pm

One nice thing about the plans is you basically stay on one page and finish everything before moving to the next page. Sonex has a strange way of ordering the sheets, though. You start at the last page (for each sub-assembly, like "wings") and work to the first page. I scratch built mine, so I can attest to the fact that you don't need a build manual.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby lakespookie » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:03 pm

mike.smith wrote:One nice thing about the plans is you basically stay on one page and finish everything before moving to the next page. Sonex has a strange way of ordering the sheets, though. You start at the last page (for each sub-assembly, like "wings") and work to the first page. I scratch built mine, so I can attest to the fact that you don't need a build manual.

There are a handful of pages where they give you an order for things the wing page where you put on the wings is one of those, Also make sure you check the website for drawing updates, and that you also download the supplemental guide they can be very helpful.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Return to General Discussion