Truth In Advertising - Are We Wrong?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Truth In Advertising - Are We Wrong?

Postby daleandee » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:13 pm

There is a Sonex for sale on Barnstormers that is also being advertized on YouTube. The seller (identifies as a broker) has been told by Brian & myself via YouTube comments that this plane is not a B model.

I pointed out what I believe is clear evidence to the contrary and the the broker's reply is below:

Not sure what to tell you but I was not certain and reached out to the factory with the serial number. I am a broker and have no experience with Sonex. I knew I was not a good source of info so I did my research and solicited information from people who know more than anyone, the people who designed the aircraft. They confirmed it was a 3 so I am going to go with what the factory said. Until someone from Sonex reaches out to tell me otherwise I cannot list it as anything but what the factory says.
It was not recently built. Sat with a pickled engine for a few years. If you review the content in the post you will see more info about the plane.

Here's the Barnstormers ad: https://www.barnstormers.com/classified ... 477KD.html

Here's the YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJpOTebDcC4

Are we wrong? Will the factory clarify/verify that this in fact a B model Sonex? I'll gladly apologize if I'm incorrect, but I'd also like to avoid an unaware buyer making a mistake ...

TIA

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Re: Truth In Advertising - Are We Wrong?

Postby T41pilot » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:03 pm

If the interior shot from the youtube video is from the same Aircraft, then the shape of the Glareshield and dash and dual sticks are not consistent with a B model.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby Murray Parr » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:21 pm

A Model cowl
A Model Fuel tank
A Model Glare Shield
A Model flaps
Appears to be a tapering front of fuselage
A Model serial number (B models have B in the serial number)
If it is a B model, they must have gone to great efforts to convert it to an A model....
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:32 pm

We tried!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby WaiexB22 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:19 pm

I hear the model 4 flies better anyways ;)
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Postby Scott Todd » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:07 pm

From personal experience, I can attest that the model 4 flies better....

Unless its the V tail one. Then the 3 is better ;)
Scott Todd

Postby Scott Todd » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:24 pm

On a serious note, its a cute airplane. Pretty simple panel. No radios. Can't see an oil cooler. It could be a good project for someone. Buyers should be cautious. The FAA may be sticky on issuing an airworthiness certificate (at least in my neck of the woods). The new owner will need at least some build records or something from the original builder(s) to prove it was amateur built. And then a repairman certificate may also be difficult to get. I've found projects this close to being finished are always easier to sell once the Airworthiness certificate has been issued. Still could be a good deal for someone :)

I think we should start in informal poll on what it will go for. I'll start at $6,500.
Scott Todd

Postby WaiexB22 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:45 pm

I have heard the model 4 was an attempt at a direct competitor to the vans model B (bankrupt)....too soon?

In all seriousness, we all know the factory did not confirm that this was a model 3 or a model B. If anyone is seriously interested I would ask for the correspondence from the factory that led to his overconfidence.
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Postby BobDz » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:49 pm

WaiexB22 wrote:If anyone is seriously interested I would ask for the correspondence from the factory that led to his overconfidence.

The skeptic in me is willing to bet a shiny nickle that they will say it was a phone call
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Postby daleandee » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:02 am

WaiexB22 wrote:In all seriousness, we all know the factory did not confirm that this was a model 3 or a model B. If anyone is seriously interested I would ask for the correspondence from the factory that led to his overconfidence.

I'm certain that no one at Sonex gave him permission to call this a B model Sonex. If so they should be taken to the woodshed for a bit of comeuppance. I don't want to point fingers and call this broker dishonest but he is not being truthful here.

I put another comment on his youtube page after looking at more photos posted here:

https://bids.airspaceauctions.com/Listi ... ils/241302

He claims he did due dilligence in his research but a quick look at only the engine mount answers the question as well as the other items already cited i.e. glareshield, panel, tapered fuse, flaps, turtledeack formers behind the seat, etc.

I guess I should let it go but it grinds me a bit to see someone continue misleading ... especially after having indisputable evidence presented to them. Maybe someone at Sonex should give Matt Hutton a call at 254-271-9909 or 254-735-5030 and find out which employee they need to discipline ...
daleandee

Next

Return to General Discussion