Tail Skid

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Tail Skid

Postby Area 51% » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:53 pm

Does anyone know why there is a difference in the tail skids between the Waiex and Sonex nose draggers?
Assuming the pictures on the prints are to scale, the Waiex looks longer than the Sonex. The Sonex print has a dimension, but the Waiex does not.
Area 51%

Re: Tail Skid

Postby N190YX » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:53 pm

At AirVenture, I have seen evidence of the tail skid contacting the ground while the airplane is in motion on nose dragger models, so I have thought about having a machine shop make me one where a small roller or small skateboard type wheel can be installed at the end of the tail skid. I almost cut my finger when touching the bottom of a tail skid on a nose dragger due to the roughness apparently caused by dragging the ground on a take off or more probably full stall type landing.
N190YX

Re: Tail Skid

Postby Area 51% » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:13 pm

As it stands right now, I intend to use a titanium tail spring rod I have lying around instead of the skid called out in the plans. It seems to me a little "give" at that location might be better than a stiff skid.

I'm guessing the reason for a longer tail skid on the Waiex as opposed to the Sonex is the ventral fin on the Y-tail. At least, I've never seen the "fin" on a Sonex. There are also a lot of Waiex, Waiexes, Waiexs running around without the fin. My first copy included.

The roller is a great idea, if I can find one that doesn't come back down when tossed in the air.
Area 51%

Return to General Discussion