Noise insulation

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Noise insulation

Postby cjaeger » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:40 pm

Just started test flying Sonex #1571 LN-SNX in Norway. It's a blast to fly. I notice significant noise from the flat fuselage bottom plates while taxiing and there is also fuselage noise during flight. Has anyone on the forum tried out any means to reduce this issue?
cjaeger

Re: Noise insulation

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:53 pm

I wear a headset. Weight is the enemy.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby daleandee » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:54 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:I wear a headset. Weight is the enemy.

I use Clarity Aloft ... weight is the enemy! 8~)
daleandee

Postby cjaeger » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:15 am

I fly in controlled airspace so use a headset. Still cant't help noticing the 'tin can' noise from the flat parts of the fuselage. I was thinking of putting some lightweight foam on the inside of the largest flat areas. Anyone tried this or other noise reduction measures without adding too much weight?
cjaeger

Postby GordonTurner » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:10 am

I remember someone used angle pieces, just 1x1x.025 or maybe less, attached diagonally across panels with double sided tape. Effective, but no analysis of how these may concentrate stress at their ends.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby builderflyer » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:48 am

cjaeger wrote:Just started test flying Sonex #1571 LN-SNX in Norway. It's a blast to fly. I notice significant noise from the flat fuselage bottom plates while taxiing and there is also fuselage noise during flight. Has anyone on the forum tried out any means to reduce this issue?

Pneumatic tailwheel tire for ground operations and a Halo in the ear headset for ground and air operations. Both combine to make a significant reduction in "noise" without adding any weight.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby WaiexB22 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:55 am

GordonTurner wrote:I remember someone used angle pieces, just 1x1x.025 or maybe less, attached diagonally across panels with double sided tape. Effective, but no analysis of how these may concentrate stress at their ends.

I saw this on another build and I am considering doing this to reduce the oil canning noise from the tail. I just don't know about double sided tape. If they come loose they could interfere with the controls. I am considering fully riveting them, or double sided tape with one rivet at each end.
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Postby rhw5548 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:26 pm

I installed the angle pieces.. still building
I like the 2 Rivet Idea
Plans Built SN #0243
MGL EFIS Electronics
Tri-Gear, Dual Controls
Todd's Canopy
Prince p-Tip Prop
Echo UAT (ASDB)
Jab 3300 A
FlyQ EFB
rhw5548

Postby mike.smith » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:45 pm

WaiexB22 wrote:
GordonTurner wrote:I remember someone used angle pieces, just 1x1x.025 or maybe less, attached diagonally across panels with double sided tape. Effective, but no analysis of how these may concentrate stress at their ends.

I saw this on another build and I am considering doing this to reduce the oil canning noise from the tail. I just don't know about double sided tape. If they come loose they could interfere with the controls. I am considering fully riveting them, or double sided tape with one rivet at each end.

I have had mine in place for 9 years. I used the 3M VHB (very high bond) double sided tape. I stuck them on with double sided carpet tape during my build, and one day I found two of them on the floor! Took them all off and re-stuck with the VHB. It's pretty powerful stuff.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 181&row=11
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 191&row=10
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 8137&row=8
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby GordonTurner » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:07 pm

In my TLAR engineering expertise…the risk of riveting is creating stress points in an in-engineered way. The tape spreads the load evenly over the whole area, and probably has a little give in the bond. I know stresses will transmit to the ends of these trusses.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Next

Return to General Discussion