Continuum ...

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Continuum ...

Postby daleandee » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:47 am

Opening the man door to the hangar reveals my Corvair powered taildragger sitting in the dark. When the hangar lights came on I thought I noticed a twinkle in the cowl openings. As the large bi-fold door rises up the clear sunshine and cool breeze enters as I take a moment to inspect this machine to see if it is ready for us to spend some time above the earth.

Soon enough I'm strapped into the seat and with a shot or two of petrol I watch a few blades go by and then I'm rewarded with the throbbing thunder of the 120 horse flat six telling me that we are soon to be ready for the skies. Lining up on runway five with a call for departure I can almost hear a voice saying, "Myunn you are go for launch!"

Slowly feeding in the power along with gobs of left rudder we are very soon up, up, and away! The air is cool and buttery smooth as I climb up only a few thousand feet while turning towards the lakes about 20 miles away.

I'm consumed with thoughts of how blessed I am to have the priviledge of flight in a beautiful bird that has been nearly flawless in operation. I study just how smooth the engine is, how responsive the controls are, and how quickly the landscape passes by below me. This is my second flight this week in gorgeous weather after many days of cold, wind, & rain. It's still winter but spring is in the air.

I post this as incentive to all of those of you that are still building or finishing up your beautiful birds. The road you are on will continue after the flight testing is finished. You will be amazed at where you have arrived but the journey is not over at all as now you start on another part of it by the discovery of your plane and the adventures you both will have together.

Much like a great marriage ... it just gets so much sweeter with time. Stay the course my friends.

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Re: Continuum ...

Postby BobDz » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:38 am

Thanks Dale, I needed that.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Postby mbean » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:08 am

Thanks for the inspiration note Dale!
My own corvair powered beauty will take flight later this year, can’t wait!
Mike
Sonex #1694
mbean

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:05 pm

Well said Dale! I'm still tweaking but when I stop it is great to be able to jump in and fly anytime. These are great airplanes!
Screenshot_20240309-093200-440.png

I flew this morning and took that picture. There is a windmill at my buddy's place. He built it - carved the prop, welded up the tower, wound the generator etc. He should build airplanes. Adam is out flying right now.

Keep going brothers and sisters!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Tony4aro » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:52 pm

Thanks.... after my dad passed a few months ago.... it's been hard to find motivation.
Corvair powered Waiex (under construction)
N3848D
W0181
Tony4aro

Postby daleandee » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:41 pm

Tony4aro wrote:Thanks.... after my dad passed a few months ago.... it's been hard to find motivation.

My heart goes out to you my friend. Losing my father 40 years ago was one of the hardest things I've ever gone through. One of my passions (beside flyng) is song writing and one of the ways the Good Lord gave me to help me heal was to write a song for my dad after this passing. Sometimes through these avenues (music, poetry, arts) we find an outlet for the grief and sorrow that comes from such partings.

As to flying ... I have a close friend that had a severe plane crash just over two years ago. He's a good guy and lived through it but was in a coma and now resides in a nursing home still recovering from a TBI (tramatic brain injury). After his accident it took me some time before I wanted to fly again.

They say that time heals all wounds. That may be true but some wounds seem to leave scars that are constant reminders. Best to you ...

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:02 pm

Sorry for your loss Tony.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit