Building myths. Is scratch building really less expensive?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Building myths. Is scratch building really less expensi

Postby builderflyer » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:05 am

Along with other early builders, in 1999 I purchased almost all of the aluminum needed to build my Sonex airframe for about $1,000, and that included certifications for the metal. Then, shortly afterwards, the supplier found out that we were using the aluminum to build airplanes and they would no longer fill any order for that purpose. In 2001 I paid $10,700 for a brand new Jabiru 3300 engine. Oh the good old days...............now long gone.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby BobDz » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:35 pm

builderflyer wrote: Oh the good old days...............now long gone.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261

My next truck will be 2.4 times the cost of my first house....

I know your pain well.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Postby flyguy0609 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:56 am

I posted this little lampoon of myself, like in the cartoon when the devil is talking in one ear and the angel in the other. It is just a comment to share that I caught myself jumping down the tools rabbit hole. We all know that building an airplane is full of rabbit holes to explore. Spending $1,500 to make $300 worth of parts is absolutely absurd, and I find the absurdities in life amusing.

I purchased my kit from the estate of the original owner. It was literally a basket case. I fabricate some parts and purchase other parts, depending. I have a bench-top end mill that i use for the final cutting. Works faster than hand filing, Makes good straight and square cuts with very little burring with an accuracy of 0.005". 30 seconds with a Scotch bright wheel and they are done.
flyguy0609

Postby kmacht » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:56 am

There is no wrong way to make a part and build the plane as long as it confirms to the blueprint. Use what you have. If building the airplane gives you an excuse to buy more tools to make the job easier all the better.

Keith
kmacht

Previous

Return to General Discussion