Building myths. Is scratch building really less expensive?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Building myths. Is scratch building really less expensive?

Postby flyguy0609 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:43 pm

I'm on a roll today.

My to purchase tool list includes a 3 axis Digital read-out, A rotary Table and a power feed. Total cost is roughly $1,500.00. I desperately need these tools for my end mill in order to fabricate parts that cost maybe $500 from SONEX. Not to mention the extra Month or two or more needed to Install, calibrate and fabricate said tools.

The hardest part about building an airplane is keeping my ego in check.
flyguy0609

Re: Building myths. Is scratch building really less expensi

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:22 pm

The purpose of the hobby is to buy tools. Well done!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Skippydiesel » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:06 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:The purpose of the hobby is to buy tools. Well done!

Love it!
Skippydiesel

Postby mike.smith » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:09 pm

I've been flying my scratch built for 10 years, now, so costs have increased. But I spent $28,000 all-in, including materials and tools. AeroVee 2.1, smoke system, MGL Xtreme Mini, transponder, MGL panel mount radio, uAvionix ADSB in/out, ELT, polished finish (Rustoleum rattle can paint on cowl and other fiberglass). Others who are good scroungers and simpler avionics have built for $16,000.

Tools:
- Snips/shears
- Drill press
- Band saw
- Grinder w/ Scotchbrite wheel
- Cordless drill
- Harbor Freight rivet gun
- 5 gal compressor (started w/30 gal, but got rid of it)
- Manual rivet puller
- Files
- Drill bits and uni-bits
- Dremel with cut-off wheel
- Other miscellaneous small stuff
- No other expensive or fancy stuff

There is really no need for anything exotic or fancy to build a Sonex. I gave up using air tools (like a pneumatic drill) about 2 weeks after starting to make parts. I found it unnecessary, and it got frustrating waiting for a 30 gal tank to fill with air. A cordless drill is all you need. I later got a 5 gal compressor for the rivet gun, and that was plenty. Lots of pulls, and it fills up fast.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby peter anson » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:02 pm

I'll go along with Mike here. My scratch-built Sonex, complete with Jab 3300 engine came in at a little over A$30,000, about US$21,000 at the time I finished 12 years ago. I did save about A$10,000 by careful scrounging, which mostly worked out OK. The money was spent over a 6 year period rather than as one or two big hits, so it came as a complete surprise to my dear wife when she eventually found how much I had spent. I would guess that it would cost me twice as much to build now. Finishing my Sonex wasn't the end of the expense however. Since 2012 I have bought 3 propellers, one engine, one canopy, one radio and countless engine parts. Probably best not to keep track of all that.

Peter
peter anson

Postby Area 51% » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:02 am

I appease my wife by regularly pointing out the cost of the current build is still comfortably under the Blue-Book price of her 5 year old Subaru. .
Area 51%

Postby kmacht » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:41 am

There is nothing on a scratch built sonex that requires a milling machine a DRO or a rotary table to produce. I scratch built my Sonex for 15k (10+ years ago) and had a full shop including a Bridgeport which was never used once. It was all built with simple hand tools, some scales, a bending brake, a small oxy/acetylene torch and various sanders. There is absolutely no way it is cheaper to buy the full kit than it is to buy just the bare metal and a few inexpensive tools. Scratch building will absolutely take more time and I recommend most people buy the kit as they have a higher chance of finishing but if money is keeping you from building going scratch built will still get you in the air and costs can be spread over time.
kmacht

Postby Kerry Fores » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:37 am

What Keith said.

Kerry Fores
Sonex 9
Scratchbuilt using a 9" tabletop bandsaw I didn't own.
AirVenture 2006 Plans Built Champion

Ya'll really should be reading my column and features in KITPLANES magazine.
Kerry Fores

Postby rbarber » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:00 am

I built mine from plans, and had it setting on its wheels for about $6k (sans engine, canopy, instruments, etc.). I believe the kit cost about $14k at that time. I even wasted a couple of sheets of aluminum due to mistakes. I was able to purchase the aluminum at a supplier nearby at a cost of less than half of that of ACS, and no shipping. I can't tell you how much that matters.

I also enjoyed the challenge of laying out and making the parts, and I think this is important for the scratch builder. If you don't like doing this, I think the kit is what you need. There are more than 10k holes to be laid out in hundreds of parts. You should read this as "10k opportunities" for mistakes.

Ponder this for what it is.

R.
N157SX (Sexy Hexy)
Gen 4 Jabiru 3300
1250+ hours of impressively stupid stuff in the air (enjoyed nonetheless)
rbarber

Postby peter anson » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:15 am

One other "advantage" of scratch building; I cut out parts so inefficiently that even 12 years after completing my Sonex I still have spare 0.025" sheet 6061. I'll probably run out before I die, but only if I live well into my 90s.

Peter
peter anson

Next

Return to General Discussion