Quiet around here...

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Quiet around here...

Postby Andy Walker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:02 pm

Somebody must have something Sonex-y to say...we need to make this board take off (pun intended).
Andy Walker

Re: Quiet around here...

Postby Mike53 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Oh you won't be able to shut me up probably, once I start building in Oct. unless the workshop answers all my questions,which I doubt .I joined vw conversions on yahoo hoping to get more feedback on the vw engine choices but they must all be on holiday because I got exactly 2 responses to my query and one was a private e-mail telling me I would get all sorts of opinions on the subject but so far nada.

It is really to bad that sonex does not recognize this group and advertize it like they do the yahoo group. This is a far and I mean far superior platform,It is dedicated to their product,ie it will help sell their product so it would be nice of them to at least put the forum on their web site and once everyone has a chance to see both they can choose for themselves.
It drives me absolutely nuts when I view the pics at sonextalk and there is no way of knowing in most cases what the heck your looking at.Totaly useless.
here someone puts a pic with their comments and you know exactly what it is.
Ah, enough of my rant,my 2 typing fingers grows weary.Cheers
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:56 pm

...and here I thought I made too much noise last week! ;)
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby onex28 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:19 am

Judith and I will be at the hanger party on Monday the 25th. I'm waiting for the pickup of my Onex kit and hope to get a firmer ready date while at Oshkosh.
onex28

Postby Andy Walker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:00 am

Mike53 wrote:Oh you won't be able to shut me up probably, once I start building in Oct. unless the workshop answers all my questions,which I doubt .I joined vw conversions on yahoo hoping to get more feedback on the vw engine choices but they must all be on holiday because I got exactly 2 responses to my query and one was a private e-mail telling me I would get all sorts of opinions on the subject but so far nada.

It is really to bad that sonex does not recognize this group and advertize it like they do the yahoo group. This is a far and I mean far superior platform,It is dedicated to their product,ie it will help sell their product so it would be nice of them to at least put the forum on their web site and once everyone has a chance to see both they can choose for themselves.
It drives me absolutely nuts when I view the pics at sonextalk and there is no way of knowing in most cases what the heck your looking at.Totaly useless.
here someone puts a pic with their comments and you know exactly what it is.
Ah, enough of my rant,my 2 typing fingers grows weary.Cheers
Mike

If you're like me, you'll *think* the workshop has answered all your questions, but five minutes into actually building you'll be saying "um, wait...how do I..." :lol:

There's no doubt the "regular BBS forum" format we have here is much better than Yahoo Groups. I think Sonex like Yahoo because they don't have to maintain it. Also, there may be liability reasons for it -- if they don't "own" the system, they are not really liable or responsible for what gets put there. Given the Monnett family history regarding lawsuits you can't blame them if they are a little gunshy.

Hopefully over time this site will grow into the more "grassroots" place to really get answers from other builders, and the Yahoo Groups can be used more for communications with the official Sonex folks. BTW, has Chris or anybody else posted to the Yahoo Groups announcing that this site is up and active? That would probably be a great way to get some more members here contributing. Though I don't know if that would step on Sonex toes.
Andy Walker

Postby Andy Walker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:08 am

Sonex1517 wrote:...and here I thought I made too much noise last week! ;)

Hell no, I was still waiting to here how you resolved your VS rib issues! Tease! :x
Andy Walker

Postby Andy Walker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:13 am

onex28 wrote:Judith and I will be at the hanger party on Monday the 25th. I'm waiting for the pickup of my Onex kit and hope to get a firmer ready date while at Oshkosh.

I'm jealous, I wish I could get there. I'd probably try to bum a ride up to OSH for all the festivities, but I'm in the middle of having my house modified to give me more building space, and it wouldn't be fair to leave my wife all week to manage the builders.

I guess you'll get to see the completed Onex prototype. I'm curious to get your opinions of the build and how it looks. I have to say I'm jealous of the Onex guys, since you are getting a largely match-drilled kit that should go together much faster than a Sonex. Is there a ballpark of when you might see your kit? Where are you in line?
Andy Walker

Postby dbdevkc » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:21 pm

"If you're like me, you'll *think* the workshop has answered all your questions, but five minutes into actually building you'll be saying "um, wait...how do I..." "

I am already there and I just finished the inventory. While still working on building the bench, I made the decision to work on building the flaps first. Already I am not sure what the plans are describing for the flap skin on the inboard (root) edge...
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby chris » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:49 pm

Andy Walker wrote:... BTW, has Chris or anybody else posted to the Yahoo Groups announcing that this site is up and active? That would probably be a great way to get some more members here contributing. Though I don't know if that would step on Sonex toes.

I posted the URL on the sonextalk Yahoo Group the day I put this site online. I'm not going to make a regular habit of doing so because of the possibility of stepping on toes as you say. Some people are resistant to change. I don
Chris
Sonex 1409
Slowly Scratch Building
Site Owner/Admin
chris
Site Admin

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:46 pm

Hopefully this site will continue to grow. I really like it! I haven't had much to say since my poor kit is sitting half the country away while I go through training, but I'm hoping to get back to it soon. My main goals will be electrical wiring and engine cowling, then it should be close to moving to the airport. Good news there...I'm on the t hangar wait list but a Cessna 150 owner has already told me that he's happy to share until I get my own.

I'm still hoping to fly this thing before the end of the year...
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Next

Return to General Discussion