Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Proposed changes for Oshkosh arrivals

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi robbie
Thanks for posting this. The origional procedures were developed 40 + yrs ago by longtime faa controller and airventure tower controller ray thiebault (sp?) from kalamazoo mi. That its worked all this time gives thanks to the good controllers in the tower during airventure week, and attentive pilots flying the fisk arrival. This last year though exposed that the system is overwhelmed and needs an overhaul. kudos to to eaa working group for coming up with new ideas and procedures. im sure the faa will take these suggestions and come up with some new procedures. Lets hope for a smoother arrival flow for airventure 2019.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby avee8r » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:53 am

Not to mention, let’s hope for better weather opening weekend!

Happy Landings
John
N50NX
avee8r

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:34 pm

I'm glad the FAA and EAA recognize that a potential fix may be needed, but with last year's primary issue being bad weather all days Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning, I can't see how adding a new initial approach corridor fix is really going to do much. It will still get saturated quickly if the same weather delays were to happen again. It's just my opinion but with only one arrival corridor available for everyone, saturation may continue to be an issue.
I also notice part of the proposed plan will require ADS-B Out capability in the event of marginal VFR conditions. I'm all for safety, but have mixed feelings about it, mostly because I haven't spent the money to add a transponder and ADS-B out to my airplane. I guess it's time to start a Go Fund Me, or ask the wife/CFO for permission to spend some more money on the airplane!
I know I'll have people mad at me for saying it, but one of the best fixes I've read so far is to restrict or eliminate the "mass arrivals" during busy times. I know they all want to park together on the grounds, but shutting down the airport for multiple hours during the arrival weekend is a big problem. It's too bad they can't restrict mass arrivals to the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday before the show and leave the weekend to everyone else!

Just my two cents; I guess we will see what they end up doing!

I hope to see everyone at AirVenture 2019!!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby fastj22 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:23 pm

When we approached Fiske during the peak of mess, I actually had to turn off ADS-B in because the beehive was blocking my navigation line and it was information overload. Just kept my head on a swivel. We were a flight of four going in, Jim Hicke leading, then Mike, then me, then Carl in his Nanchang. As the hive formed we lost Jim and me and Mike nuzzled up as a tight flight of two. I just hung tight and low off his right wing and stared at him hoping that a tight flight of two might get permission to keep going. It worked. We had a Cherokee in front who kept slowing down to around 60MPH and they finally spun him off. Jim got spun off ahead of us and I was sure Carl did behind. But it turns out Carl caught a break and got shot down the 35 approach. Mike and I got sent to 9. It was blowing at least 15-20 out of the north. Landing as a tight flight of two was rather sporty. Both of us fighting to keep it on the center.

I think the best solution is to move the muster point another 10 miles out from Ripon and just have everyone assume a holding pattern (maybe force an approach to the pattern from the north). As you come around the pattern, you are released to do the approach, no release, do another lap. Oh, and those mass arrivals! Oh those mass arrivals.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:41 pm

I will be bummed if they mandate ADSB out.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:31 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:I will be bummed if they mandate ADSB out.

You and me both!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Proposed changes for Oshkosh arrivals

Postby caveman370 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:21 pm

I agree with Mike on the new procedure proposal. In our day job’s( airline and corporate) you can put 100 extra procedures but doesn’t make a difference when the weather goes down!
One way might be 1 or 2 more arrival routes to spread the traffic out and mix back together closer into the airport

Mike Neidenthal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caveman370

Return to Fly-Ins