Airventure 2023

Announce and discuss upcoming fly-ins

Re: Airventure 2023

Postby pilotyoung » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:10 am

Yes you can ship camping equipment to AirVenture. Both FEDX and UPS have a facility on the field. In past years it was just north of the main exibition buildings. There is usually information about doing it on the AirVenture web site.
pilotyoung

Postby NWade » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:54 am

Info on shipping gear to OSH - and preprinted shipping labels- are about 3/4ths of the way down this webpage:

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-you ... t-services

Hope to see folks there!

—Noel
NWade

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:33 am

Thanks guys, I had found the labels. If I get there on the weekend, I wonder what the hours are. I emailed EAA that question, hope for a response.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:11 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:
NWade wrote:All -

I realize that I'm late to the party, but is there going to be any attempt at a "Camp Sonex" this year? I would love to finally meet folks in person and camp with similar-minded builders!

Thanks,

--Noel
Sonex #1339 (finally flying!)

Another question for the camp Sonex veterans: do you still taxi over for the Sonex open house? I am leaning towards HBC this year.

Noel, I'm not sure what the thoughts are in terms of a "Camp Sonex" area but the last few years I've arrived, the marshallers tried to guide me into that same area of HBC and I'm guessing they will do the same again. I normally park in the middle of HBC and know of several other Sonex people who don't really want to park next to a ditch/creek just in case mosquitoes are bad, so we will see what happens!

Bryan, I believe Sonex is once again hosting the Sunday morning Open House for people to taxi over and then have a large taxi back to HPB or HBC. Details can be found on the company website.

I hope there's a good turnout this year in celebration of the 25th anniversary of Sonex! I'm hoping to fly my Waiex up there if the weather cooperates.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby NWade » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:43 pm

Thanks, Mike!

Still hoping to make it... I'm cranking through my Phase 1 flights still but the plane is behaving well other than uneven mixture distribution causing some heating issues in Cyl #3 (right rear) on climbs if i'm not careful.

However, given the push to flight test and prep for the long XC trip I decided to splurge on an RV and camp over at Scholler. Trying to figure out camping gear and supplies in addition to prepping the plane was going to be too much. Still, my Dad and I will bring some folding camp chairs and hope to hang with any Sonex folks over in HBC! We're happy to contribute drinks or supplies to any "campfire" gatherings around the airplanes.

With any luck, we'll see you at the Sonex Open House!

--Noel
Sonex #1339

P.S. Got the FSDO to revise my operating limitations and allow for a Task-Based Flight Test program. I'm 15 hrs and ~10 test cards into the EAA's 18 test-card program [depending on how you count - I've done a lot of tests at 1 weight & balance condition. Need to repeat some tests near gross weight to map things out fully]. Fingers crossed I can wrap it up this coming weekend as long as the weather cooperates!
NWade

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:59 am

I've fabricated my tiedowns and a canopy cover. I think I need to weigh my gear, do some flight planning, and I'm ready. I'm going to fly right to the Sonex open house and then onto homebuilt camping. I have a hangar neighbor who is flying his C140 up. His wife is driving the car/trailer and some Explorer (scouting program) kids so I think I've figured out how to transport chairs and a tent.

Adam has to be back to work on Tuesday so we are flying out Monday after the show. But I'll fly back with Matthew on Wednesday morning and continue camping for another night or two. I'll practically be an Oshkosh commuter.

How is that phase 1 going Noel? Don't feel bad if you don't make it. Be safe!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby jowens » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:19 pm

-Work party airventure crews continue to post that the ground is rock hard. It may be a good idea to assess your airplane and tent tiedowns will work in super hard ground.
-Flight visibility has been wildly variable this past week. My flight last night was with good flight visibility. Sunday was awful
-Bryan, two arrivals and two departures... Wow. It may be a challenge to get marshaled over to the sonex factory on landing. Any others have tips for that?

Note toward the end of this video how ridiculously low the base to final turn was. This must be practiced and proficient before trying this at AirVenture
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7GYbmAQqV0w
Jim Owens
Dynon HDX1100, dual controls, Viking 110, taildragger
660 Hours, first flight 10-17-2018
jowens

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:24 pm

Jim,
The Sonex open house procedures are here:
https://www.sonexaircraft.com/documents ... ctions.pdf

I missed it the first time I read it, but Mark Schiable pointed out you to make a sign to show the flagmen that says “Local Traffic: East T-Hangars”
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:31 pm

jowens wrote:Note toward the end of this video how ridiculously low the base to final turn was. This must be practiced and proficient before trying this at AirVenture
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7GYbmAQqV0w

All that tow pilot slalom will finally be put to good use! I'll confess it did my heart good to hear an RV guy saying his oil was cooking. And I'm glad all that work I did to improve mine.

Low profile - afraid of the grass?

Fast forward to about 15:00 for the landing Jim mentions.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby markschaible » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:41 am

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to jump-in on this thread and let everyone know that our published parking instructions for AirVenture grounds still show the old parking area, where our booth used to be, next to Warbirds and taxiway P-1. With this year being the 25th Anniversary of the Sonex, EAA is giving all Sonex aircraft pilots parking directly across from our current booth location, a few rows south of Homebuilders HQ. We'll have the yellow "Sonex" arrow sign in the grass on the flight line at the end of that row, so keep taxiing South until you get to that neighborhood. See our booth location map, which also shows the location of Homebuilder's HQ to get a visual on the location on the flight line, between Homebuilders HQ and the Brown Arch: https://www.sonexaircraft.com/airventure-2023-preview/

We're excited to see everyone here next week!

-Mark
Sonex, LLC
markschaible

PreviousNext

Return to Fly-Ins