No votes
I prefer just one day, Saturday
7%
I prefer an overnight trip with camping
20%

Total votes : 15

November Sonex Gathering in GA

Postby austexaviator » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:48 pm

Hi gang! I have owned my Sonex for about 18 months now and have only met a few of you. I couldn't make it to OSH this year... I know there are quite a bit of Sonex (and Waiex, Onex, Xenos) out there and thought it would be fun to have a SE gathering. I am happy to organize such an event. In the poll below I have three dates in November to choose from. Please select each date that you could attend. I am working on finding an airport to host it. So far I am looking at my home airport (KJZP) or Peach State Aerodrome (GA2). If you have any other suggestions please leave them in the comments.
Patrick
Tailwheel Sonex Model A Jabiru 3300
austexaviator

Re: November Sonex Gathering in GA

Postby daleandee » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:47 pm

austexaviator wrote:Hi gang! I have owned my Sonex for about 18 months now and have only met a few of you. I couldn't make it to OSH this year... I know there are quite a bit of Sonex (and Waiex, Onex, Xenos) out there and thought it would be fun to have a SE gathering. I am happy to organize such an event. In the poll below I have three dates in November to choose from. Please select each date that you could attend. I am working on finding an airport to host it. So far I am looking at my home airport (KJZP) or Peach State Aerodrome (GA2). If you have any other suggestions please leave them in the comments.

Patrick ... I sure do miss the Sonex gatherings that John Davis had in Crossville Tennessee for a number of years! If you do this I will make a serious effort to be there.

My preferences would be for a two day (Friday-Saturday) fly-in with camping or nearby hotels. November 10 & 11th works well (veterens day) but others would work also. If you decide to use GA2 that would be a bonus as I have friends in Griffen Georgia and could visit them or bring them along. Pickens county works also. I've never landed there but flew over it a bunch on the way to Tennessee ...

Just one man's opinion,

Dale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg0fgs4cFuE

Edit: After taking a look I realized that GA2 is under the mode C/ADSB veil and folks without the required equippment would be at a disadvantage where JZP is not so that might be something to consider also.
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:47 pm

JZP would certainly be convenient since it's less than 60 miles from my home airport. Unfortunately, I work every weekend (this weekend is 200 straight), so the only way I could be there is a Friday.
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby tps8903 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:51 pm

As long as my plane is working I can and will make any of those dates. I missed KOSH due to a magnetron failure and a pesky little baby that popped up!! 9 months notice isn't enough.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby austexaviator » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:55 am

Thank you for the early responses so far.
I didn’t consider the ADSB requirement for GA2- good point. It would make for a great location because they have a restaurant on the field. But if it prevents several Sonex pilots from coming then that’s ultimately not a good choice.
Patrick
austexaviator

Postby N111YX » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:56 am

An SE Fly-in certainly appeals to me. Weekends can be iffy for me as well but if I can pin down a date then I'm happy to help however I can.
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby Arjay » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:09 pm

I would love to go, but don’t have equipment to enter the mode c veil for ga2.
Ron
Arjay

Postby tps8903 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:46 pm

KSSI has several restaurants and a Hotel at the FBO. Just throwing it out there. Might be too busy for a fly in. Not sure.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby daleandee » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:39 pm

tps8903 wrote:KSSI has several restaurants and a Hotel at the FBO. Just throwing it out there. Might be too busy for a fly in. Not sure.

I've been to Jekyll Is (09J) with a friend in his Rockwell Commander. It's a stunningly beautiful place. Although KSSI is right next to Jekyall I've never stopped there. If it's nearly as beautiful as Jekyall it would be an amazing place to have a fly-in.

Still a more central location such as JZP might attract more pilots/planes and I'm certain the cost to hold a fly-in would be less than a coastal airport as far as hotel costs for those that didn't want to camp.

Dale
daleandee

Postby austexaviator » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:03 am

Looks like there is some interest. I’ll reach out to a couple of airports and see if they’ll work with me. Stay tuned.
Patrick
austexaviator

Next

Return to Fly-Ins