Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Postby Jester504 » Fri May 10, 2024 8:02 pm

Hambone wrote:So I just hit a hurdle while trying to organize insurance with Avemco.

They require 10 hours (!) of dual instruction in a tailwheel Sonex, partially due to my low (30 hours) tailwheel time. In lieu of that, I can apparently do the EAA Flight Advisor program. I don't even know what that is!

I got insurance through Avemco without 10 hours dual via the EAA Flight Advisor sign-off. There's almost no info on the EAA website about it and the Avemco agent on the phone didn't actually know what it was, either, except that it was a box he could check that waived the 10 hours requirement. The EAA website has a search function to find nearby Advisors. I spoke to a person two states away that ended up signing me off. Essentially, the work is as much or as little as the Advisor wants it to be, and results in paperwork that you can send to Avemco.

I also spoke to Victoria at AIR and she wasn't able to help me without 10 or 15 (I think it was 15 to be honest) hours of dual instruction.
Jester504

Postby Hambone » Fri May 10, 2024 8:36 pm

daleandee wrote:
Hambone wrote:So I just hit a hurdle while trying to organize insurance with Avemco.

They require 10 hours (!) of dual instruction in a tailwheel Sonex, partially due to my low (30 hours) tailwheel time. In lieu of that, I can apparently do the EAA Flight Advisor program. I don't even know what that is!

I've got some research to do...

Don't know if it will help but I've had great service from https://air-pros.com/victorianeuville/

Tell Victoria I sent you ...

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel

Just zapped her a message.
Hambone

Postby Hambone » Fri May 10, 2024 8:37 pm

Jester504 wrote:

I got insurance through Avemco without 10 hours dual via the EAA Flight Advisor sign-off. There's almost no info on the EAA website about it and the Avemco agent on the phone didn't actually know what it was, either, except that it was a box he could check that waived the 10 hours requirement. The EAA website has a search function to find nearby Advisors. I spoke to a person two states away that ended up signing me off. Essentially, the work is as much or as little as the Advisor wants it to be, and results in paperwork that you can send to Avemco.

I also spoke to Victoria at AIR and she wasn't able to help me without 10 or 15 (I think it was 15 to be honest) hours of dual instruction.

That's promising. I'll see if anyone at our local EAA chapter knows anything about the Flight Advisor program.

Thanks for the info!
Hambone

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri May 10, 2024 10:26 pm

Victoria is our insurance agent also. She could not get Adam covered until he had 100 hours total/50 hours tailwheel.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Hambone » Fri May 10, 2024 10:30 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Victoria is our insurance agent also. She could not get Adam covered until he had 100 hours total/50 hours tailwheel.

Hmmm. This could be a potential deal-breaker.
Hambone

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri May 10, 2024 11:15 pm

Hambone wrote:
Bryan Cotton wrote:Victoria is our insurance agent also. She could not get Adam covered until he had 100 hours total/50 hours tailwheel.

Bummer. I'd say look at the big picture though. Can you find a CFI buddy to make the trip with you? Or someone insurable?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Hambone » Sat May 11, 2024 12:27 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:
Hambone wrote:

Bummer. I'd say look at the big picture though. Can you find a CFI buddy to make the trip with you? Or someone insurable?

Probably not practical to get someone to tag along for the 2000 mile trip. I'll pursue the EAA avenue, and see what happens. Where there's a will, there's a way!
Hambone

Postby SNX1508 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:49 am

Check out O2 Sports Insurance https://www.o2sportsinsurance.com/

$725.00 / year for my Sonex, 3rd Party Liability only though. You must be a USUA member (US Ultralight Association). When I initially insured the Sonex the requirement was 10 hours dual instruction in same category & class, i.e. Airplane, SEL, Tailwheel. No requirement for any time in a Sonex.
Terry
Sonex #1508
N296SX
AeroVee #0736
Tail Dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/SNX1508
SNX1508

Postby Hambone » Sun May 12, 2024 11:04 am

SNX1508 wrote:Check out O2 Sports Insurance https://www.o2sportsinsurance.com/

$725.00 / year for my Sonex, 3rd Party Liability only though. You must be a USUA member (US Ultralight Association). When I initially insured the Sonex the requirement was 10 hours dual instruction in same category & class, i.e. Airplane, SEL, Tailwheel. No requirement for any time in a Sonex.

Thanks, Terry! I’ll check that out.
Hambone

Postby Hambone » Tue May 14, 2024 9:34 pm

Looks like I’ve gotten the insurance set up for Avemco. I managed to contact an EAA Flight Advisor (super friendly and knowledgeable RV-7 and Xenos builder and owner), and he’s going to sign me off.

Also had a long discussion with a very experienced Sonex builder and owner, and got lots of AeroVee information. It was a rather daunting amount of information, with discussion over Avgas vs Mogas and associated differences in required compression ratios, managing engine temps and preventing plug fouling by selective use of the ignition system, and the unique air and ground handling characteristics of the Sonex. He actually had a VW racing shop completely rebuild his AeroVee, resulting in over 100 hp without a turbo, no cooling problems, and smooth running in all conditions. I’m going to find out more about that.

Getting excited now! Anyone not too far from a course between KTHV and KGOO who would like to meet up first week in June, let me know!
Hambone

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training