Sonex Tailwheel instruction

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Sonex Tailwheel instruction

Postby Tmdarkansas » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:53 pm

I have an insurance problem and am looking for CFI. I recently bought a tw sonex with a 3300. My insurance requires me to have 10 hours dual instruction, plus I need tw endorsement. To add to that, my flight review is coming up.

I live in South Arkansas. Does anyone know a CFI around here with time in Sonex tail wheel or have any ideas?
Tmdarkansas

Re: Sonex Tailwheel instruction

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:10 pm

First off, congratulations on the purchase of the Sonex! I sure hope you love it as much as we love ours!

Second, hopefully you'll be able to find a local CFI for your requirements. Did your insurance company give any information on what minimums a CFI will need to fly your airplane? Do they need the same 10 hours?
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby EricS » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:35 pm

You may already know that Mike Farley is a CFI with the ability to provide transition training in the Sonex type. He's located in Columbus, Ohio unfortunately. Also, Sonex Aircraft does offer a transition training program at their facility in Oshkosh, WI. We've heard nothing but positive feedback about their program.

Here's some info the Sonex Builders & Pilots Foundation has on transition training. Feel free to look it over!
http://www.sonexfoundation.com/Transition_Training.html
Eric Seber
Waiex #153
Jasper, Indiana
http://www.mykitlog.com/EricS/
EricS

Postby Tmdarkansas » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:20 pm

Mike,

Insurance just says that CFI needs time in Sonex...no specific requirement.
Tmdarkansas

Postby Tmdarkansas » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 pm

Eric,

I did know about training at Sonex, but their website says that you already need endorsements. I didn't know Mike could do it, but both mike and Sonex are quite a distance from here. I guess I might have to get tail wheel endorsement in a different aircraft and then do transition. I was hoping to just do it all in my plane.
Tmdarkansas

Return to Safety and Training