WANTED Sonex Instructor - NC

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Postby sx1094 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:00 pm

My insurance is requiring me to have time with an instructor before I am covered. Any Sonex instructors in the Raleigh, NC area that can help me out? Contact Tom at tom.gregorski@gmail.com or 2522057017.
sx1094

Re: WANTED Sonex Instructor - NC

Postby gcm52 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:15 am

You may have to travel to Oshkosh and do the Sonex transition training (check the Sonex website). I don't believe a CFI can instruct in an experimental unless they get a letter of authorization from the FAA...
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby Waiex 49 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:52 am

I am no expert on the regs, but I think it is ok to have a CFI give instruction in your own experimental.

My insurance company wanted me to get 2 hours of dual in my plane before coverage would become effective. They did not have any criteria for the training, just that I needed two hours with a CFI in the plane.

The Waiex I bought already had 200 hours on it when I bought it, so we weren't dealing with any phase 1 issues. My instructor and I flew around for two hours and that was it.

The Waiex is a pretty easy plane to fly. I had already flown it on my own before the requirement for 2 hours of instruction came down.

Just another data point.

Don Bowen
N49YX
Waiex 49

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:57 am

My understanding (and there are a lot of people who know more than I do) is that if you own the airplane you can pay a CFI to receive training.

The catch is if you allow others to be trained in your airplane and a CFI is compensated. That requires a LODA. The LODA is for the airplane and lists the CFI's approved I believe. That list can be supplemented via the FSDO that issues the LODA.

Summary is if it is your airplane and you are receiving transition training it is ok to have a CFI do the training and pay them.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby SonexN76ET » Fri May 01, 2015 4:38 pm

Please do yourself a favor and your loved ones a favor. Go to Oskosh or to Mike Farely (I understand he has an LODA) and get some type specific training from someone who knows Sonex aircraft.

If everything works properly when you are flying you will not have any problems. However, if something goes wrong, you want to have type specific training that will help you react properly to the event.

I have 1500 plus hours and have flown T-34s, Rv-8s, Bonanzas, Mooneys, SportsCruisers, Barons, 310's etc. I went to Sonex and took the 5 hour program. It was the best $850 I have ever spent. You will think so too. It is fun and informative and takes a lot of the worry out of flying your new plane.

Jake
SonexN76ET

Return to Safety and Training