Sonex Demo Rides

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Sonex Demo Rides

Postby chris » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:38 pm

I know there are probably a lot of people who are interested in sonex aircraft but have not been fortunate enough to get a ride in one. I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where owners can offer to fly someone around in their airplane (I know you are all looking for an excuse to fly, right?) or post a request to get a ride. I would suggest posting your home airport or nearest GA airport.

So if you want a ride or want to give a ride, post here.
Chris
Sonex 1409
Slowly Scratch Building
Site Owner/Admin
chris
Site Admin

Re: Sonex Demo Rides

Postby Merzyd » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:48 pm

I would love the chance to get a ride. I live in Willmar, MN, and I'd sure be willing to drive a decent distance for a chance to go for a ride in a Sonex/Waiex/Xenos.
Merzyd

Postby 142YX » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:59 pm

I am 50% done with my Waiex in Mojave, CA but have not yet been lucky enough to take one for a spin.. Anyone in the Antelope Vally, or all of southern california for that reason willing to offer a ride? I am a thin guy (165 lbs) and I buy lunch too.
Waiex # 142 - Taildragger, Jabiru 3300
First Flight - July 13th, 2015
450 hours and counting..
142YX

Sonex Demo Rides

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:22 am

Great idea Chris!

As long as we're on the subject, I am in Chicagoland and would love a ride in a Sonex. Taildragger Aerovee would be my ideal ride-along....and I buy lunch too! (as well as split the gas)

Closest airports here are Aurora, Clow, DuPage, Lewis, or Joliet....but I'll drive anywhere in the area...

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Aerovee/taildragger
Starting on the wings
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby BartMan02 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Thanks for posting this Chris,

I'm extremely interested in building a Sonex or Waiex. Not sure yet but unfortunately I have tried to contact several Sonex owners that are in my immediate area through the list of builders on the Sonex website to no avail. Most of the email addresses and phone numbers are no longer in service so I'm hoping that I might find someone that monitors this site from my area.

I would like to see one up close and would be willing to pay for all expenses if someone would be interested in giving me a demo ride. I am in the process of completing my privates pilots license and fly at the Downtown Greeneville airport n SC.

I'm willing to drive up to a 150 mile radius to get up close to one even if you are not presently flying

Thanks for reading my post.

Bart
BartMan02

Postby kmacht » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:28 pm

If you can swing a bit more of a drive there is a huge sonex gathering in crossville Tennessee October 11th and 12th. They have 39 sonex signed up to fly in. It's a great place to check out all divergent sonex and take a ride in one. I wanted to go this year but dont reall want to do a 14 hour drive from Connecticut. I plan on flying in next year.

Keith
kmacht

Postby BartMan02 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:08 pm

If you can swing a bit more of a drive there is a huge sonex gathering in crossville Tennessee October 11th and 12th. They have 39 sonex signed up to fly in. It's a great place to check out all divergent sonex and take a ride in one. I wanted to go this year but dont reall want to do a 14 hour drive from Connecticut. I plan on flying in next year.

Hi Keith,

I wish I could make it Keith, but I already scheduled a week off of work the week before and scheduled 10 hr's of flight lessons and cant reschedule my week off. I'm going to finally take my first solo in a Piper Archer and I am extremely excited about it to say the least.

I see you are a Sonex or Waiex builder. How far along are you. I look forward to meeting you at a fly in and seeing your accomplishment.

Have a great day Flying :)

Bart
BartMan02

Postby Ali » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi folks,

I'm a CFI based in Long Beach, CA and i'm considering getting myself a Sonex. I'd like to check out and possibly take a flight in one. Are there any Sonex airplanes here in Southern California that i can see? Can you take me up in one? I'm 175 lbs.

Cheers,
Ali
Ali

Postby kevinh » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi Ali,

Hopefully someone will chime in here, but an extra possible resource for you: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Southern ... 8133757388
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby Gripdana » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:34 pm

Send me a PM. I am still testing. But you can come out and look mine over. I'm at KWJF.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Next

Return to Safety and Training