Sonex Demo Rides

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Sonex Demo Rides

Postby xymox » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:05 am

I live in door county wisconsin SUE ... and I will gladly pay anyone's fee to come up and visit and go flying. Or I can come to you. I already have a sonex but have not flown it by myself yet and I can't get training from sonex. :(
xymox

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:57 am

I hope you're able to find someone local and get a demo ride! I do have to ask...if Sonex can't help you with training, that probably means you don't have license, correct? I assume you're probably finishing a rating at this point?
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby jjbardell » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:21 am

xymox wrote:I live in door county wisconsin SUE ... and I will gladly pay anyone's fee to come up and visit and go flying. Or I can come to you. I already have a sonex but have not flown it by myself yet and I can't get training from sonex. :(

Sent you a PM. I'm 1.4h SW of you and have a tri gear turbo I can give you a ride in.
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Postby xymox » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:00 am

MichaelFarley56 wrote:I hope you're able to find someone local and get a demo ride! I do have to ask...if Sonex can't help you with training, that probably means you don't have license, correct? I assume you're probably finishing a rating at this point?

Correct. I have about 40 hours total time I went to flight school at Fox Valley tech back in the 90's I just never got around to finishing my private. I have been taking lessons and I just recently bought a Cessna 172 was well but my instructor won't fly experimental. That's his own personal choice and I have to respect that
xymox

Postby JimZ » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:56 pm

I fly out of manitowoc. Would be more than happy to give you a ride. I can fly up to SUE to meet you or you can come to MTW we have three Sonex on the field.
Jim Zuege
Sonex 473JZ, Aerovee
KMTW
JimZ

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:03 pm

Mr Xymox,
Congrats on your sonex purchase. Sounds like you have a tri gear, not sure of what engine.
A couple of honest suggestions to you:
1) you said you have time(about 40 hours) in c152 and c172, owning a c-172 . I would finish up and get your private license in your c-172.
2) when finished with that, get a least liability insurance on your sonex. The insurance company may tell you how much dual instruction you will need to get before they will insure you.
3) then you can contact sonex and set up the training time thru their T-flight program. Joe politely explained the rules of the FAA Loda. They CANNOT deviate from this.
4) hopefully you can hold a class 3 medical, to obtain your PPL.
5) It would be in your best interest to have an A&P , or other flying sonex builder give your plane a good look over.
6) in obtaining your PPL you will learn good airmanship, weather knowledge, FAR's , good operating practices, and safety.
7) everyone here and this very organization was developed to promote safety.
8) have fun and learn along the way.
9) be open to good sound advice, from experienced others.
10) we want to keep the sonex incident/accident rate down. This is a good website to read back posts , promoting safety, and sharing knowledge.
Good luck to you! Please post if your have questions. There is alot of veteran sonex fliers on here.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Sonex Demo Rides

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:33 pm

xymox wrote:I live in door county wisconsin SUE ... and I will gladly pay anyone's fee to come up and visit and go flying. Or I can come to you. I already have a sonex but have not flown it by myself yet and I can't get training from sonex. :(

Ditto what others said. I am in Chicagoland and would be happy to give you a ride in my Sonex.

Please let us know if you do not get one and we will arrange something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby xymox » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:32 pm

Thanks for the info. Now that I have a 172 seems my flying will have to wait until my privates are complete.
xymox

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:56 pm

Larry in Coeur d Alene, Idaho, with Waiex121YX, Camit 3300.

More than glad to take a builder for a flight. I was offered that by a fellow builder before my Waiex was completed and it really reaffirmed my decision to get things done.
I recently took a lady flying for her first "Sonex" flight. She and her husband have been working on a tri-gear, Sonex/Aerovee for about 7 yrs. I'm hoping the intro flight is a motivator to get their plane flying? She is the "chief polisher" and finding out its a lot of work.
I'm able to accommodate up to a 190 lb. passenger. Heavens, I need to go on a diet! LOL
Kind of getting to be the sketchy time of year for flying around here (could be a foot or two of snow, any day now) and that kind of puts the damper on flying till it clears up.
I love winter flying though. The performance is stellar and a clear winter day is spectacular for scenery around here.
As a side comment to taking out first timers. It's hilarious to watch first time Sonex flyers try and maintain some semblance of altitude. When your used to a Cherokee or a 172, its not uncommon to find one has drifted off 200 in less than a minute at the controls. More than one person has remarked at how difficult it is to maintain straight and level. They are responsive little devils!
I try to gently remind them concentrate on the big picture out the windscreen and quit chasing the EFIS. Flying right seat, strange and new aircraft, its just much more enjoyable to look out of the plane and fly. That's what its all about. Its not a checkride, but a fun ride.
Merry Christmas to all and a Happy next Flight!

Larry
LarryEWaiex121

Postby Cosmo911 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:06 am

Hi All,
I live near KEAU in WI and will be traveling to Phoenix the first week of February. I'm about 80% done with Onex #161. I've never had a ride in a Sonex Aircraft. I weighed too much to go with Joe at Sonex for a ride. I now weigh 250 and wondering if someone between WI and AZ are willing/able to give me a demo flight. I would reimburse for fuel. I'll be in the Phoenix area about a week. Willing to travel to meet someone during or after my trip. Meanwhile I'll continue to shrink.
Thanks,
Scott
Cosmo911

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training