Pocket survival kit

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Pocket survival kit

Postby Gripdana » Fri May 15, 2015 11:09 pm

I was sent this PSK from the Civil Air Patrol Squadron in Van Nuys. I thought it is a good guide and others may be interested. I just copied and pasted it as it is. It is also an attachment

Pocket Survival Kit ( PSK )

Much of the credit for this PSK goes to Dave Canterbury who created the 10 C’s of Survival : Cutting Tool; Combustion; Cover; Container; Cordage; Candle; Cotton; Compass; Cargo Tape; Canvass Needle see: http://blog.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/ ... -survival/
And John Wiseman, author of SAS Survival Book , for suggesting that a 2 oz. tobacco tin could be used for a survival kit, and Mike Lychock who developed the idea of the On-Person-Survival kit which I have built upon : http://blog.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/ ... the-o-p-k/ and IZ Turley who created a knife specifically to fit an Altoids size tin. Additional guidance provided by Jim Morris.
The following list suggests ideas for preparing your own kit using your own knowledge and experience, taking into account the weather and topography in which you travel. These tools can keep you alive with proper training and use prior to encountering a survival situation. Some sources and prices are listed, not including tax or shipping.

TOPS Knives – Turley PSK # 23 knife and survival kit BladeHQ.com $38
This kit includes the PSK knife with lifetime warranty and sharpening, tin, ranger rubber band, mini flashlight, , mini signal mirror, mini fresnel lens magnifier, trail marking tape ( I deleted from my kit) , button compass, ICE info card, mini ferocium rod, TOPS whistle, split ring ( the last 5 items I exchanged for smaller/ more effective equipment ) .

BEST GLIDE PRODUCTS http://www.bestglide.com/ supplied the following 7 items :
Personal Survival Kit Holder $18
SOL signal mirror 2” X 3” $10
SOL One Person Heatsheets Emergency Blanket $5
Aquamira Frontier Water Purification Filter $10
Tracker Button Compass 14mm $3
ASE Survival tips Stickers $4
K1 mini magnesium & ferocium rod $5

ACR WW-3 Survival Whistle backcountry.com $3
Suunto Clipper Compass REI Store $18

Misc.: Coghlans Storm Matches- 6 ; Katadyne Micropur water purification tabs - 2 ; CVS antibacterial bandaids - 2 ; sterile gauze 2” X 2” ; write in rain paper and pencil; Bank Line - 30’ ; dental floss 4 yds. ; snare wire 24 ga. Brass - 30’ ; mole skin ; triple antibiotic & pain reliever - 2 doses ; 30 gal. trash bag – 1 ; 1 qt. double ziplock bag – 1 ; aluminum foil 1’ X 2’ ; Wound Seal - 2 doses ; electrical tape - 2’ ; cotton ball with petroleum jelly – 1 ; hacksaw and jigsaw blade, 1 ea. ; straight & boxcutter razor, 1 ea. ; several needles and small screw eyes; paper coffee filter - 1 ; UrgoDerm patches – 2 ; strip high visibility reflective tape ; 4” zip ties – 2; medium Safety pins – 2 ; Tinder Quik Fire Starter Tabs - 2 ; P38 can opener – 1; birthday candle – 1 , and a photo of a loved one ( key to Will to Survive ). approx. $20

I still need to add a fishing kit, and wire saw,

S.T.O.P. First steps in a survival situation:
Sit. Take several deep breaths. Collect your thoughts. Reduce panic.
Think. Take inventory of your survival kit. Your brain is the # 1 item in your survival kit.
Observe. Look around for water, shelter, food, high ground, open clearing.
Plan. Create your plan of action. Be positive.
Attachments
Pocket Survival Kit.pdf
(41.23 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Return to Safety and Training