Safety wire K&N clamp on air filter

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Safety wire K&N clamp on air filter

Postby gammaxy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:30 pm

I've been using the K&N RC-1950 clamp on air filter. It seemed to fit nice and tight when originally installed, but after ~150 hours it didn't seem to install as easily as the rubber has changed dimensions a little. Clamping down tight with distorted filter tends to push the filter off Aeroinjector's "bell". It fell off the other day and settled between the exhaust pipes and melted a bit where it touched the pipes.

In hindsight, it seems obvious that this should have been safety wired in place all along. Anyone else have this problem?

For those who use the RC-1980 filter, how do you get it to fit? The RC-1950 inner diameter exactly matches the Aeroinjector at 2.25", but the RC-1980 is 2.438". I've wondered all along if there's a good reason why some people use the RC-1980.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Re: Safety wire K&N clamp on air filter

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:51 pm

Well, I wish I had come up with some sort of safety. My RC-1980 fell off after about 5 or 6 hours of running, although it has been on and off for maintenance a few times. I think it fell off near the end of my last flight.
melted filter.jpg
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Safety and Training