Aerovee Concerns/Clarifications for a Newbee

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Aerovee Concerns/Clarifications for a Newbee

Postby Onex107 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:25 pm

One of the problems I, and others have had, is the "Burps". This is caused by vapor bubbles in the fuel line caused by heat and results in a reduced power situation. In effect, the engine runs out of gas as every bubble enters the AreoInjector orifice. In my case it happened about every five seconds. It's scary. Mixture or throttle control doesn't change it. You can maintain altitude but not much else. They could put you into an emergency landing situation and there would be no evidence of the problem that caused it after the engine cooled off. The bubbles are absorbed in the float bowl of a common carb. The problem has been handled by several methods on this forum. In my case insulation delayed it until back on the ground when the under cowl temp caused them and engine would die at idle. The most difficult thing to insulate was the gascolator so I removed it and problem was solved. I helps if the fuel line is downhill all the way from the tank. I think that gives the bubbles a place to rise to and keeps them away from the AeroInjector. Some have added a T vent line in the fuel line, with removable plugs at the top of the cowl, to vent the vapor. This doesn't eliminate the problem, just contains it. This is one of the experiences I think should be documented in a Service Bulletin type thread on this web site. It's a fact of life with the Aerovee and we should know in advance that the "Burps" are possible in hot weather and to expect them if you haven't taken detailed steps for prevention. Could be one of the "engine failure for unknown reasons" type of accident.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Re: Aerovee Concerns/Clarifications for a Newbee

Postby Onex107 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Tell us more about the new intake elbows.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Previous

Return to Safety and Training