First flight training without T-Flight

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

First flight training without T-Flight

Postby jaflint » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi guys. Long time lurker (5 years), 2nd time poster...

I was in touch with Mark Schaible today about the status of the T-Flight program, and it wasn't encouraging. He said John is weighing their liability exposure with T-Flight, and they're having a hard time finding a good fit for the instructor position (seasoned, good people skills, lots of experience with homebuilts). In the short term, at least, sounds like training at Sonex won't be an option.

Since I started building in October 2013, my plan was to go through the T-Flight program once the plane was done. Now that it is (a/w cert 1/20/17), it's clear I'll need to pursue other training options in prep for first flight if I plan to get my Sonex in the air this flying season.

For you guys who did your own Sonex/Waiex first flights without the T-Flight experience, what did you consider most valuable in your preparation for first flight? What advice would you have for a low time pilot (150 hours total, all in Light Sport eligible planes) with 8 hours of taildragger experience last August in a Champ (light weight, but seemingly a very different bird)? Mark suggested, wisely I think, trying to get some time with another Sonex pilot, and perhaps some training in a similar aircraft like a Vans RV. I'd appreciate the input of those of you who've been there, too.

Thanks for your help.
Jason Flint
Sonex #1655
3.0L Corvair
1140+ hours
2500+ landings!
jaflint

Re: First flight training without T-Flight

Postby fastj22 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:55 pm

I did mine prior to t-flight by Sonex. I rented a low wing light sport with a CFI and got current while doing pattern work at my airport. About the same total time as you. Looking at emergency landing options, getting familiar with handling and sight pictures. On first flight in the Sonex, I was comfortable by the time I turned crosswind. The plane flies very well. I've done first flight in another sonex and early flight testing in a third. They are all well behaved and predictable. T flight is very nice but most of us didn't have it available and survived.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby wlarson861 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Get a local Sonex pilot to give you a few rides in an aircraft similar to your bird. if no one offers then one of us will come up and do it. If i do it you will be required to pay it forward and train any future sonex pilot who needs help. what is your airport identifier?
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby jaflint » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:51 am

Thanks so far.

Bill, that's a generous offer. I'm at Lake Elmo airport, 21D, Minnesota -- in the northeast quadrant under the Minneapolis/St. Paul International mode C veil. I plan to check the builders data base and do some outreach to Sonex pilots in the area, and likely another post to the board here to see who I might get some flight time with. I'll keep your offer in mind, too.

JF
Jason Flint
Sonex #1655
3.0L Corvair
1140+ hours
2500+ landings!
jaflint

Postby Fastcapy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:50 am

I didn't do the T-flight prior either. I did some flying in some other light sport aircraft to get used to the energy management of the lighter weight aircraft and flew with a few other Sonex owners so I could get a good feel of the stick forces.

The one thing I would do differently is I would ride along in a sonex doing a bunch of landings to get used to the sight picture a little more. I seemed to forget at first how low you sit off the ground in a Sonex and wanted to round out higher than I should have the first bunch of landings. Nothing severe but just a little rougher landings than I try for and a number of go-arounds. Be prepared to go-around. If you aren't feeling it go-around and try again.

Overall the Sonex flies nicely, just be sure you anticipate the light control forces, you don't need to hamfist it around the sky. Just smooth use of pressure on the stick.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby fastj22 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:59 am

The light controls was probably the biggest surprise to me. I over controlled a bit on the first lap. Some of that might have to do with having acro ailerons. But pitch is equally sensitive.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby lgsievila » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:37 am

Hi Jason,
I flew the Onex I built without any T-flight training after I got my airworthiness certificate. I started flying in 1966 in a Piper Clipper, got my ticket in a Piper Warrior several years later. I owned a C150, C177(Cardinal) and a Piper PA28R 200 (Arrow). I flew a lot of other airplanes and got my tailwheel endorsement in a Decathlon. None of the planes mentioned above fly like the Onex does and I think the Onex would fly pretty much the same as a Sonex So they individually were not any help on my first flight but did add to my flying experience. I had about a half hour in the right seat of a Sonex and it would be great if you could get some time in a Sonex.

You know how to fly and I am assuming you have confidence in your plane if you built it or thoroughly inspected it if you bought it. So I would say go for it.

Have a first flight plan and follow it. Do a thorough pre-flight inspection. Make sure your check list is up to date and accurate and then follow the check list. Do a radio check if applicable and all the other things you have in your plan. There are pros and cons about doing high speed taxi test and I chose not to do any. I did do a fair amount of taxiing and static run up test before first flight just to make sure the engine would keep running.

Some people have a fairly large group standing by and even a chase plane but I did none of that. In fact I didn't even tell anybody I was going to go but a friend happened to be at the airport and caught my landing on a cell phone video. I think having somebody video your landings will help you evaluate how you are doing and make adjustments as necessary. As others have mentioned controls are light so be aware of over correcting. One thing that I initially had problems with is getting my Onex to slow down on approach and landing. I don't know what kind of brakes you have but be ready to brake. I had differential heal brakes and found out very quickly that I needed to have my feet in position for braking before I touched down in order to avoid some directional control issues on roll out.

Good luck and have fun.
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby jaflint » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Thanks, all -- I appreciate the input, both here and through offline message.

The plane's ready, but I'm not after two years without flying punctuated by a concentrated spurt last summer to get the tailwheel endorsement. Switching gears from what felt like a solid training option once the build was done is my task now, and this advice is helpful. I imagine I'll go get current and feeling good again in the Champ, and see if I can locate some local Sonex pilots willing to lend some time in the right seat.

JF
Jason Flint
Sonex #1655
3.0L Corvair
1140+ hours
2500+ landings!
jaflint

Postby sport65 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm in the same situation having received my a/w certificate the end of may. I can't find anyone with a LODA, and Sonex still has no guess if and when T-flight will open again. I've been dragging my feet hoping T-flight will reopen soon, but I'm about ready to move on from that happening. I would like to find someone to get "orientation flights" with before I make my first flight in #1570. If anyone is in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that would be great, but I would be willing to go anywhere.
Thanks
Jeff
Sonex 1570, standard gear, matco independant brakes and wheels, aileron trim, MGL iefis, V6 radio, Uavionix adsb, stx-165 transponder, Jabiru 3300
Finished
Ponder Tx
sport65

Postby snx@cb » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:35 pm

I found the Sonex Builders video of Joe Norris class very useful. It flies like he said it would particularly the nose drop in left turns. Need to manage the horizon and stay aware. Great flying airframe. Wish I could saybthe same about the Jab3300.
snx@cb

Return to Safety and Training