Accident N543SX

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Accident N543SX

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:38 pm

vwglenn wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again...
Please! Please! Please! Fly the plane! Fly it into the trees. Fly it into the water. Fly it into a fence. Fly it into a building. Fly it into a mountain. Just don't spin it in. Your chances of survival are much greater.

Amen, brother Glenn. This cannot be said enough. At the speeds we approach in a Sonex type, a controlled descent into just about any terrain has a decent chance of being survivable. But a stall/spin is nearly always fatal. I've been involved in a few accident investigations, and stall/spin just never works out. Fly the airplane! That way you have some choice in what you're gonna hit and how hard you hit it. Stall it and you give up the choice.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Re: Accident N543SX

Postby daleandee » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 pm

vwglenn wrote:Aeorvee or not. The amount of Sonex accident synopsis' with "during the initial climb" is a trend in my opinion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...
Please! Please! Please! Fly the plane! Fly it into the trees. Fly it into the water. Fly it into a fence. Fly it into a building. Fly it into a mountain. Just don't spin it in. Your chances of survival are much greater.

When used to fly 2-stroke ultralights I had a few landings where the engine clocked out before the work day was done. The Cleanex is heavier and faster than the Challenger & Hawk though. I truly pray that we all have the training and the courage to fly the airplane until it stops. Perhaps we should all take a lesson from this 17 year old girl ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSsOKOlLCZw

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
169.4 hours / Status - Flying
Member # 109 - Florida Sonex Association
Latest video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP7UYEqQ-g
daleandee

Previous