OSH 2019 arrivals

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

OSH 2019 arrivals

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi all,
Good reading on www.avweb.com article about new osh arrival procedures written by fellow faa controller denny cunningham of ORD and OSH twr fame. ‘FLD bailout procedures’
Also anyone flying over lake michigan , to/from OSH airventure. My father lost a friend recently, flying his bonanza from upper to lower michigan at 7000 ft. In contact with MSP Center, experienced engine problems, Center vectored him directly to shore line and frankfort mi airport. Sadly the plane ditched/ crashed 5 miles from the shoreline and sunk in 600 ft water. Michigan state underwater uav found the wreckage, but not the 2 men onboard. See www.kathrynsreport.com. search N1561Z.
Food for thought. if flying over lake michigan pick a higher altitude to provide good gliding distance. Enough to make the shoreline and rescue.
Consider aircraft weight and winds aloft.
Be safe everyone flying to / from Airventure. Weather & winds.
Will see you at the SBPF flightline mtg. and wed nite bbq at waynes.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Re: OSH 2019 arrivals

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:22 pm

Well said Michael! I also encourage everyone else to consider having sufficient fuel to be able to enter the arrival procedure at RIPON, hold for a while, and still have fuel to bail out and divert somewhere else if needed. If fuel or anything else is a concern, do whatever you can to eliminate that from the equation!

Everyone be safe and have fun this year! Be safe on your flight or drive, and enjoy it!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:37 pm

Great post! If you are going to Oshkosh:

READ THE NOTAM!

And read this:

https://www.avweb.com/insider/new-and-i ... h-arrival/
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:18 am

Hi all,
Robbie thanks for the direct link. Last year due to the weather the sunday at airventure was chaos for arrivals. A good group effort this last year , EAA, FAA, controllers, Natca, airport management.
John Wehner is the airport manager at FLD, a longtime friend and class act. They want to make this new procedure work . If weather closing in, aircraft saturation, low on fuel (thanks mike farley for the reminder) try the FLD diversion. Fond du Lac County put up a new terminal bldg a few yrs ago, the airport is kept up well. If you get stuck overnite, the local eaa chapter 572 (which my father started)
does a great job during airventure week. Parking planes, tie down kits, camping avbl, with showers/bathrooms. Food vendor on site, local chamber of commerce on site to help out with lodging. buses/shuttles to eaa airventure. Give it a try if ripon/ fisk closes up. Be safe and recoup on the ground. FLD has a temp twr during airventure week.

I’ll be staying at the UWO dorms (a/c) again this year. Anyone else lodging there? kelleys pub out front is good for a nitecap or 2 to end the nite.
Lets hope for a safe and fun Oshkosh 50th. Airventure 2019.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby mike.smith » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:09 am

If you want to park your Sonex in home built parking but not home built camping, Charlie Becker from EAA told me this:

"With the new vendor area, we are going to try to have a couple of each design just to the east. The rest of the aircraft, in your case Sonex, will be parked together. We are still working out the details but I expect it will be very close to where we have always parked the Sonex even though the booth will have moved. We always try to park birds of a feather together in HB parking." He said to just use the "HBP" sign; no need to mention anything about Sonex specifically.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Return to Safety and Training