Shiny Airplane/Rusty Pilot - Getting Ready to Fly

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Shiny Airplane/Rusty Pilot - Getting Ready to Fly

Postby WesRagle » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:18 pm

XenosN42 wrote:Hi Wes,

I found this very helpful https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_90-89B.pdf You'll need to pick and choose what applies to your OneX.

Thanks Michael. Got it.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby builderflyer » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:40 pm

WesRagle wrote:
I'm 63 now and an honest self evaluation reveals some loss of reflexes. I notice that while driving, when I pull up to a busy uncontrolled intersection, one where I don't have right of way, as I wag my head back and forth trying to find an opening it takes a little longer to focus and assimilate what's going on after a wag. I think that's inevitable.

Wes

Wes, I'm quite a bit older than you and have experienced what you describe in your example. But I prefer to believe, in part, that by the time we have reached our ages and we have witnessed so many other drivers do so many stupid things that we tend to proceed with a bit more caution than what we would have done at a younger age. Nevertheless, your personality comes through loud and clear in your messages and they reveal that you are cautious, thorough and self-reflective, all really excellent traits every good pilot outta have.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby kmacht » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:35 pm

WesRagle wrote:I'm 63 now and an honest self evaluation reveals some loss of reflexes. I notice that while driving, when I pull up to a busy uncontrolled intersection, one where I don't have right of way, as I wag my head back and forth trying to find an opening it takes a little longer to focus and assimilate what's going on after a wag. I think that's inevitable. My only defense is currency and hopefully the application of a little wisdom.

Wes

A little off topic but if you have trouble quickly focusing when looking side to side at an intersection make sure you mention this to your doctor and also get your eyes checked regularly. I'm 41 and started having something similar happen last year. I thought I just needed glasses due to age but it got progressively worse to where I eventually couldnt safely drive. Turns out my two eyes were not syncing and moving together when turning my head left and right due to brain lesions affecting one of the optic nerves. Things are better now but could have been bad if I diddnt go to see a doctor when the symptoms first started. My point is, don't always assume that age is the cause of vision or reflex issues. They may be but its always good to get checked out just in case.
kmacht

Postby WesRagle » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:13 pm

Hi Art,

builderflyer wrote:But I prefer to believe, in part, that by the time we have reached our ages and we have witnessed so many other drivers do so many stupid things that we tend to proceed with a bit more caution than what we would have done at a younger age.

That might be part of it. I do believe it's true that with newer cars the cell phones are much more likely to work than the blinkers :-)

kmacht wrote:A little off topic but if you have trouble quickly focusing when looking side to side at an intersection make sure you mention this to your doctor and also get your eyes checked regularly.

I think my eyes are fine. My focus is fine with the help of blended lenses. The only problem I have is working in tight quarters when I have to look up. Sometimes I have to turn my glasses upside down :-)

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:38 am

Hi Guys,

Went up for another hour in the Champ. Most of the time was spent doing touch and goes on hard surface. Much better this time. Only one landing was really butt ugly. Ended the training with a single grass field landing back at my instructors house. That was gratifying :-) First perfect landing of the day. We've decided that I'll go up for an hour every couple of weeks and then intensify the training as the Onex gets closer to first flight. For now, were just "knocking the rust off".

So, for now I'll just continue working on step 2 (Be proficient in your flying skills) of "Preparation for Initial Flights" in the Sonex Builders & Pilots Foundation Transition-Training Syllabus.

BTW, when I told my instructor that the Champ was a hard plane to fly he corrected me. He said no, it's just a hard plane to fly well which is what makes it such a great trainer.

Forever Forward,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Fri May 01, 2020 9:53 am

Hi Guys,

Day number #3 of flying. I think I'm getting better each time up. Probably flew a little too long though. It seems my peripheral vision drops off as it gets darker. The last landing was a bit of a plunker.

My teacher:

When I got home I checked the FAA web site and, after what seems like forever, it looks like my Onex registration went through. Very good news for me! Now I can schedule the airworthiness inspection. That is if the virus doesn't have everything shut down...

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:19 pm

Hi Guys,

I kind of left this thread hanging so ...

I ended up flying the Champ for about 8 hours over a 7 week period and walked away a humble man with a fresh biennial. The last day was the most intense with a direct 10 knot cross wind. It was exciting enough in the Champ that a small group of spectators gathered to watch the show :-)

Monday a friend made the 83.1 nautical mile trip to KONY and let me fly his RV-6A around for an hour or so including 5 landings. It would be lying to say it wasn't nice to strap into a sport plane after 8 hours of hard work in the Champ. Before anyone thinks practice in an RV nose wheel airplane isn't applicable to a tail wheel airplane, think again. Everyone who flies an RV-XA knows that the nose wheel is only good for preventing a prop strike while taxiing. The mains *are* aft of the CG but the approach,flare, and landing are much the same as in a tail dragger.

The RV is much easier to fly and much easier to land than the Champ. At the same time though, you can sense that it would be a lot easier to get in trouble in the RV. Get off speed just a little (80 mph final) and things don't feel right.

That's about it. My instructor and my buddy have declared that I'm ready to fly. Just a matter of all the stars aligning now.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Rynoth » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:39 pm

You got this Wes!

For what it's worth, I still land my tailwheel Waiex a lot like a tri-gear, typically either in 3-point or tailwheel first. A bit more rudder required to keep centerline than a typical tri gear. I haven't tried intentional wheel landings yet. Hold it off just above the runway and let it settle as the airspeed bleeds away.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby WesRagle » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:24 pm

Hi Ryan,

Rynoth wrote:You got this Wes!

For what it's worth, I still land my tailwheel Waiex a lot like a tri-gear, typically either in 3-point or tailwheel first. A bit more rudder required to keep centerline than a typical tri gear. I haven't tried intentional wheel landings yet. Hold it off just above the runway and let it settle as the airspeed bleeds away.

Thanks. I think it'll be OK. I spent a day thinking about the first flight. I wrote every step down. From the time I wank into the hangar until roll out on landing every thing is planned. The plan went through a couple of revisions as I ran it past my buddy with the RV. He's flown everything from a Cassutt to a C5 and is a multi thousand hour retired Air Force instructor. Every revision he suggested was to simplify the initial flight. I'm glad :-)

My only real concerns are maintaining directional control and flaring too high. I do wish that fuel cover wasn't right where the center line of the runway should be.

I'll do a few more taxi tests before the big day.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Sonex1517 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:43 pm

Awesome Wes! Can’t wait to hear that first flight report!
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training