Baling Out

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Baling Out

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:03 pm

So - Legacy Sonex. Lowered Seat pan.
After much measuring and discussion with Jim at Softie Parachutes.

A 240 Micro.

Remove seat back cushion

20200826_155547.jpg

3" Thick parachute will be in its place:

20200826_155708.jpg

Getting the ACRO harness on the chute means it will not over or underlap with the 4 point harness. So no pressure points. I was about 1" further forward in the seat but it didn't affect sight picture much. Wore it for 0.9 flying some hard loops and rolls. Didn't know it was there. Really was comfortable.

20200826_165638.jpg

20200826_161758.jpg

--

After review of the IAC article and discussion with the jump crew at our field and practice - the bale out drill is:

- Mixture Cut and mags and master off
- Flick headset off head, backwards into baggage compartment (you HAVE to wire and harness up correctly for this to work)
- Canopy lock out and open canopy (It's going to disappear overboard)
- Lastly undo AIRCRAFT harness, crouch into seat pan and launch as hard away from aircraft as possible. (Another reason for the ACRO harness on the chute - it's completely different and cannot be accidently opened while opening the aircraft harness).
----
- Flat stable (if you can) for a moment - then left hand to "catch the overhead ball" - while right hand comes in to pull the D ring.
- Find steering toggles on risers and make sure you can turn into wind for landing before you HAVE to.
- Adopt Parachute Landing Fall Position.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby radfordc » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:53 pm

Have you done a parachute jump before? Might be a good idea to do one or two just to understand the forces involved.
radfordc

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:44 pm

Not necessarily. Sport chutes and emergency chutes are completely different. Just train yourself to know the get out procedure and DON’T HESITATE when it’s time. A helmet of some sort is probably the best thing you can add.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:30 am

radfordc wrote:Have you done a parachute jump before? Might be a good idea to do one or two just to understand the forces involved.

Used to jump in college. In those days tandem jumping for training didn't exist. It was all static lines that got longer and longer while you proved you could free fall and pull the D ring. Then you got to fly solo.

To Gordon's legitimate point about a helmet - that is not going to fit under the canopy. Even with a lowered seat pan.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby radfordc » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:55 am

GraemeSmith wrote:
radfordc wrote:Have you done a parachute jump before? Might be a good idea to do one or two just to understand the forces involved.

Used to jump in college. In those days tandem jumping for training didn't exist. It was all static lines that got longer and longer while you proved you could free fall and pull the D ring. Then you got to fly solo.

To Gordon's legitimate point about a helmet - that is not going to fit under the canopy. Even with a lowered seat pan.

Same here. First jump in 1966 and did 300 before quitting. Nothing quite like it for sure.
radfordc

Postby Sx1552 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:26 pm

I like the security of a parachute and, if I am wearing a parachute, I get out of the airplane while still wearing it. Years ago, I was taught to do that so bailing out would come naturally if I needed to do so. I also took a jump course when I first started learning aerobatics. Has anyone come up with a jeittison handle for the canopy? I once saw an after market canopy that lifted up, then slid back. Is that still around? It might be easier to get out of. I plan to fly aerobatics in my Sonex and do feel safer wearing a parachute when I do. I haven't coached anyone in aerobatics in a long time, but I do have an extra parachute and my Citabria has a jettison handle for the door. I have heard several people say that the sonex canopy, which is very light, would blow off if you unlatched it in flight, but, apparently, someone did this and got "beaten up" by the canopy.
Sx1552

Postby Sx1552 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:37 pm

I was always taught to get out of my aerobatic airplane while still wearing my parachute, so that would come naturally if I needed to do it. I also took a jump course when I started flying aerobatics. Since I plan to fly aerobatics in my Sonex, this is an important topic for me. I had heard that the Sonex canopy will rip off easily if opened in flight, but have no proof of that. Has anyone ever put a jettison handle on the sonex canopy? I once saw an after market canopy at Oshkosh. It lifted, then slid back. Is that still available? Would is be easier to get out of?
Sx1552

Postby BRS » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:36 pm

Is anyone installing whole airframe chutes in their sonex's? Would that be a viable alternative?
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:40 pm

BRS wrote:Is anyone installing whole airframe chutes in their sonex's? Would that be a viable alternative?

No idea if it would be viable.

Acro failure modes TEND to be control failures so I suppose an airframe chute would work. But if you broke the plane badly enough (like bend or folded a wing) then I wonder if the airframe chute would work? The option to leave would sure seem like a good idea.

No idea really - but I have a personal chute and an airframe chute is heavy. If I'm not flying acro - I can leave my chute behind and take camping gear. Not so easy with an airframe chute.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:22 am

This has come up before (sorry, I can’t find the thread) - the airframe is not designed for a parachute.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training