Understanding Transition Training and a LODA

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Understanding Transition Training and a LODA

Postby Sonex Foundation » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:06 am

Hi John

I would not count on any T-flight training from the factory any time soon.
Robbie Culver
President
Sonex Builders and Pilots Foundation
http://www.Sonexfoundation.com
Sonex Foundation

Postby Sonex Foundation » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:37 am

I had a great conversation with Joe Norris at EAA yesterday about this. (Thanks Joe!)

The subject of transition training was the first thing your foundation tackled when it was formed, and continues to be an ongoing challenge today. I’m certain it will be in the future also.

Basically, we are in a bad spot here folks.

No one is likely to so much as break even providing transition training when you consider the extra cost of insurance, wear and tear on the aircraft, and Overhead associated with running a transition training program. The numbers do not support the business requirements to be honest.

There are similar transition training programs available, such as Van’s RV-series aircraft. The problem is the same insurance companies that require us to have time in type often refuse to accept “equivalent” time in type such as an RV.

This leaves us all in a bind.

With no transition training program that is Sonex/Waiex/Xenos/Onex specific, and no aircraft available to do the training in, it requires creative solutions to solve.

That’s where we are currently at as a community.

We haven’t given up on a solution, but we have definitely exhausted the current opportunities to resolve this.
Robbie Culver
President
Sonex Builders and Pilots Foundation
http://www.Sonexfoundation.com
Sonex Foundation

Postby radfordc » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:25 pm

Whatever you come up with it's bound to better than my "transition training". The guy I bought my Sonex from didn't feel qualified to fly with me in the plane. But, he had a friend who had a Sonex, too. The friend took me up and let me make three takeoffs and landings and pronounced me "good to go". I then jumped into the plane I bought and flew it 600 miles home. Every landing was perfect except the one at my destination in front of my friends when I managed to ground loop.

We have used the buddy system around here, too. My friend Ted bought a Sonex, and having never flown in one asked if I would let him fly with me. Ted had most of his experience in a Champ which is a great trainer for a tailwheel Sonex....except for one thing. On our first takeoff we taxied into position with 5000 feet of runway that was 200 feet wide. I let Ted make the takeoff and as soon as the plane starting rolling Ted was pushing on the right rudder pedal just like he always did in the Champ. Quickly we were at a 20 degree angle to the runway and heading for the grass. I was pounding on Ted's leg and yelling "left rudder" over and over, but he was down and locked. Luckily there was enough runway so that we got off before rolling into the bushes.
radfordc

Postby jerryhain » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:42 pm

I have Sonex time and have given training in Sonex aircraft in the past. I have no problem coming to you to train you in your aircraft.
I’m based in Tucson area and doing turbo upgrade on my Waiex.
Jerry Hain, Tucson AZ
Waiex Electric?
CFI Glider/Airplane/Helicopter A&P
jerryhain

Postby johnnn » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:43 am

I am now flying a rented C172. Most of my time in my 49 years of flying have been taildragger. I have owned two Taylorcraft BC-12d and a C140 in those years. Also flew a Civil Air Patrol Citabria for a while. I'm rusty, I know, and I do need Sonex time. My Onex will not be ready for a while, nevertheless, I don't want to wait until the last minute. I live only 60 miles West of Oshkosh. Are there any opportunities nearby? John
johnnn

Postby Tnhelm » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:43 am

I previously instructed in Sonex’s transition training program. I am also in the final stages of building my OneX #137. I would like to touch base with you and compare building notes. I don’t have access to any Sonex aircraft but could give you many hints on handling characteristics of Sonex aircraft. My OneX project is at ATW, 15 miles north of OSH. I would like to connect up with you at some point. tnhelm@gmail.com
Tnhelm

Postby gcm52 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:23 am

I have a Onex about ready to fly and my insurance company required a “checkout” in a two place Sonex. I was unable to find anyone in the the USA that had a LODA for a Sonex, so it appeared this requirement would be pretty much impossible to comply with. I was able to convince the insurance company to accept a checkout in an RV12 instead. There happened to be a fellow that offers dual in an RV12 in Milwaukee where I live and by coincidence that RV12 had the same Rotax engine and the same Dynon avionics that my Onex has, so it was a valuable experience. I did create a spreadsheet comparing the my Onex vs the RV12 for the insurance company plus provided them with the EAA list of LODA holders showing none for Sonex, and this data may have helped convince them.
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby pilotyoung » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:22 pm

George,

Is your Onex a nose wheel or tail wheel?
pilotyoung

Postby gcm52 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:29 am

pilotyoung wrote:George,

Is your Onex a nose wheel or tail wheel?

Nose wheel.
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby pilotyoung » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:49 pm

I am posting this hoping for a miracle. I am currently talking to a gentlemen about buying his tailwheel Onex. I got a quote from my insurance broker and the insurance company is insisting on a CFI checkout in a tailwheel Sonex. Like the gentlemen a few posts back, I have not been able to find that anywhere. I called the factory and they don't know of any.

Does anyone know of a place where I can get a CFI checkout in a tailwheel Sonex?

Thanks.

John
pilotyoung

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training