CFI with Sonex time?

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: CFI with Sonex time?

Postby Rancher » Tue May 31, 2022 8:45 am

Hi Tnhelm... Came across your post on Sonex transition. I'm buying a Sonex A model with the Aerovee this week in Green Bay N2192SX. I'm located in SE Iowa and the plane will be hangared at KAWG (Washington Iowa). I'm 210 lbs. 56 year old farmer and N2192SX has an EW of 663. I'm going to need transition training obviously and I do know its going to be a challenge to get it. I'm about to start TW training locally but starting the search for a CFI approved for the Sonex. Could that be you possibly ? Thanks for reading
ericroberts5884@gmail.com
Last edited by Rancher on Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rancher

Postby doublee3 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:01 am

Falcon insurance told me I don't need transition training if I have 15 hours total time in the Sonex... so I'm now over half-way there. I was delayed due to a crank case crack found during the condition inspection. In November 2021 they quoted 1300/yr with 25k Hull and 1M liability only for a tri-gear Sonex. The sonex was one of the few aircraft I could get insurance for that also seemed appealing to me as I'm a new enough PPL to mostly get laughed at by insurance. I have almost 100 hours total time in aircraft.

I've practiced basic PPL maneuvers and the plane handles nicely. The only issues I've had (that I'm aware of) is my first takeoff I rotated a bit aggressively as I was used to heavy C172 controls and I don't like using 30 degrees of flaps as the handle presses on my leg and I'm worried about that interfering with rudder control.
doublee3

Postby Tnhelm » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:51 am

What part of the case was the crack found and was it causing an oil leak?
Tnhelm

Postby karmarepair » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:35 pm

doublee3 wrote:Falcon insurance told me I don't need transition training if I have 15 hours total time in the Sonex... so I'm now over half-way there.

Does this mean you're flying without cover right now?
doublee3 wrote:I've practiced basic PPL maneuvers and the plane handles nicely. The only issues I've had (that I'm aware of) is my first takeoff I rotated a bit aggressively as I was used to heavy C172 controls ...

This lines up with my experience as a New To Sonex Pilot - I had a hard time with the pitch sensitivity.
karmarepair

Previous

Return to Safety and Training