CFI with Sonex time?

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: CFI with Sonex time?

Postby badaero » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:24 am

doublee3
Where are you located? I did my transition here in Tennessee earlier this year before the LODA mess started.
Bruce Drinnen
M'boro,TN
720SX
"Money can't buy happiness but it can buy airplanes and bacon!"
badaero

Postby doublee3 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:49 am

The sonex is based at khfy (near Indianapolis, IN) I'd be happy if I could fly to Tennessee for training :). I should be ready in a week or two as I'm waiting for parts to arrive in the mail to fix an oil leak and for a replacement oil pump (the builder rebuilt most of the engine about 200h ago, but did not replace the oil pump. The pressure is on the low side so hopefully a new pump will fix this.)
doublee3

Postby dsmith3689 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:44 pm

In in a similar situation in Orlando, FL. Any CFIs in the area that can help with a tri-gear Sonex A with an Aerovee?

I also need to do 5hrs with someone with 25hrs in type.
dsmith3689

Postby SonexN76ET » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:49 pm

I am seriously considering getting a sport pilot certified flight instructor rating (CFI-S) in order to teach my kids to fly as well as to do insurance mandated transition flights for new Sonex pilots. I am in the final stages of completing the installation of my new Rotax 912 ULS and should be back in the air in about a month. I am based out of Sarasota, FL. This will be my opportunity to contribute to the safety and success of the Sonex community.

I need to find out if the insurance companies will accept transition flights with a CFI-S for new Sonex pilots first. I also need to make sure I can afford the insurance for flight instruction in my aircraft.

I have a commercial and instrument rating with about 1,500 hours of PIC time and have been safely flying for 32 years. I have about 250 hours in the Sonex and completed the Sonex factory transition training with Joe Norris in 2014. My other flight hours are mostly in T-34s, Bonanzas, Mooneys, Cessnas, and a Sport Cruizer.

The reason I am looking at CFI-S versus regular CFI is because I am flying under basic med as many of us do now and no longer want to deal with the FAA medical hurdles.

If this is of interest to you please let me know and check with your insurance company if a CFI-S will be sufficient for their requirements.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby Sonex1517 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:17 am

Jake,

This is awesome news and THANK YOU! I know others have been looking at the same opportunity to be a sport CFI for transition training, and I am hoping we all hear more about this soon.

For all of you looking for training, please let the community know what you find, what your insurance company or broker tells you, and what alternatives are offered. It truly helps everyone.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby sonex1084 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:58 am

SonexN76ET wrote:
The reason I am looking at CFI-S versus regular CFI is because I am flying under basic med as many of us do now and no longer want to deal with the FAA medical hurdles.

If this is of interest to you please let me know and check with your insurance company if a CFI-S will be sufficient for their requirements.

Jake

Hey Jake, A CFI can fly and instruct under Basic Med. You don't need a 3rd, 2nd or 1st class medical. In certain circumstances a CFI doesn't even need a medical certificate at all For example, you are instructing an individual who is rated in the aircraft and has a medical, basic or otherwise.

My advice is to get a regular CFI if you have the time and money. If you want to teach your kids, they will get a better start in aviation in the chance they want to make it a career. You will get more out of it should you decide to expand your opportunities.

Matt
Matt McKee
Sgt USMC
SGT Raleigh Police Dept
FO GoJet Airlines
Retired Old Man
Sonex 1084
sonex1084

Postby racaldwell » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:05 am

Just for reference, I used Assured Partners Aerospace through the AOPA to get insurance for my Xenos. They came back wanting time with a CFI but I explained this was not possible as no one is available after Sonex stopped their transition program. They then came back saying it was not required but raised my deductible and lowered coverage during phase 1. This is what I went with. Currently at 23 hrs into phase 1.

I do have more than 1500 hrs of tailwheel time in more powerful planes than the Xenos so I'm sure that helped my argument.

Hopefully, Jake is successful in setting up a transition program in a Sonex. It certainly is needed. Regardless, thank you for trying.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
Camit 3300
Melbourne, FL
racaldwell

Postby builderflyer » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:47 am

SonexN76ET wrote:

Jake

Jake, Matt is correct.........a "regular" CFI can teach under basic med or with no medical at all under the right circumstances. No need to limit yourself to the CFI-S to avoid your perceived medical hurdles. Are you going to be limiting your instruction to tricycle gear aircraft? Thanks for wanting to give back to the Sonex community.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby dhgreenfield » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:02 am

Hello Everyone,
I am located in the Cedar Rapids area and looking to purchase a Sonex aircraft.
The insurance folks are telling me that the will most likely require me to get some time with a CFI that has a large amount of Sonex time before they will insure me/the aircraft. Does anyone know of a CFI here in the midwest with Sonex hours?
dhgreenfield

Postby Tnhelm » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:43 am

I am a instructor with Sonex transition training experience, located in Wisconsin. The question is do you have access to the aircraft, its equipment, it’s location, an your current experience.
I am a part time corporate pilot so training has to work around my schedule. I also built and own a OneX currently in phase 1 flight test.
Tnhelm

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training