Throttle Cable Failure in Flight

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Throttle Cable Failure in Flight

Postby GraemeSmith » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:43 pm

New cable fitted, tested and flown today.

The new cable feels SO much better than the old. Smoother and more positive. Can't just be that I used the MIL spec stainless spring wire rather than the 1x7?

I suspect there was a very gradual deterioration of the old cable in some manner that I missed. Even though it broke at the clamp - perhaps it was a bit "mushed" next to it. I can't really tell if it was "mushed" because I clamped it with grips to keep flying and that certainly "mushed" it.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Sx1552 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:55 pm

In had it happen twice in a Citabria. Once in flight. It went to full throttle and I used the mixture control to land, pulling it out to glide into a convenient airport. The second time was on the ground while taxiing. It, too is a solid wire cable which can fatigue. It failed in the same place as Graeme's. You need to keep checking it, and replace it if it looks the slightest fatigued. Pitts has an attachment part that swivels just enough to keep the wire from bending at that point and still open the throttle. I'm not that far along on the Sonex. Does the attach point rotate at all, or must the wire take all of the strain?
Sx1552

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:22 pm

Sx1552 wrote:Does the attach point rotate at all, or must the wire take all of the strain?

On the red Aeroconversions throttle - it includes a swivel to reduce chances of fatigue.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Previous

Return to Safety and Training