Insurance vs FAA requirements

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Insurance vs FAA requirements

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:45 pm

Arjay wrote:Here's a way to get around the insurance problem: Title the aircraft in an entity. Buy renters insurance from AVEMCO or equivalent (around $350/year) for yourself. When you fly rent the airplane from the entity. You will have no requirement for time in the Sonex to get the insurance. If you have some tailwheel time, you should have no problem converting to the Sonex with no instructions. It is very easy to fly. When you take off do not lift the tail. When you land approach SLOWLY (I like 65 mph) and DO NOT OVERROTATE.

I can't imagine the underwriter is going to allow the plane to be insured by an entity without setting some conditions. Renters' Insurance is usually considered an addendum to the main insurance on the aircraft - to protect the renter from subrogation by the main underwriter if they goof up.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:35 pm

Arjay wrote:Here's a way to get around the insurance problem: Title the aircraft in an entity. Buy renters insurance from AVEMCO or equivalent (around $350/year) for yourself. When you fly rent the airplane from the entity. You will have no requirement for time in the Sonex to get the insurance. If you have some tailwheel time, you should have no problem converting to the Sonex with no instructions. It is very easy to fly. When you take off do not lift the tail. When you land approach SLOWLY (I like 65 mph) and DO NOT OVERROTATE.

I’m curious. Is anyone actually successfully doing this? If so it’s a very creative workaround to one of our biggest challenges.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby pilotyoung » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:55 pm

There is usually an exclusion in a renters policy for an aircraft that is regularly available to you (that is not the actual wording but I don't remember it exactly). If you do pull this off, you won't know if it works or not until you have a claim. And the last thing you want to experience is a claim with a coverage question.
pilotyoung

Postby 1AviationNut » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:18 pm

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I didn't find a cheaper place however I did get an answer that works. AVEMCO quoted me 2600 with the ability to pay quarterly. Along with that I need to document time that I sit with a pilot with at least 25 hours of flight time in a sonex to discuss characteristics and quirks of the planes. They ask for two hours. I'm guessing my total time in different aircraft including LSA and experimentals made a difference. Not saying it's what everyone will get but it's well worth the call.
Patrick Handel
1953 Piper Tripacer N8934C
Sonex A N341PD
1AviationNut

Previous

Return to Safety and Training