Accident Database / Post Crash Fires / How many flying?

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Postby Gmoney » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:07 am

So what do we do as owner/builders?
Do we crowd fund a training facility?
Do we develop a syllabus?
Do we find a CFI that is willing and able to provide that training?
Do we look at accidents, determine root cause and determine a refresh for incident?
If it is motor related do we look at root cause, make recommendations?

I/we would a agree Sonex makes a good product or we would not make the time and money decisions to own and build.

I guess the real question is what can I do to make a better Sonex community? Can we say we own and operate the safest home built available? What is it going to take to turn that data around?

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gmoney

Re: Accident Database / Post Crash Fires / How many flying?

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:06 am

I would say "standby" on that. Peoole who have done my hours survey have been candid about some issues. There are some clear trends - though nothing earthshatteringly new. I'll be crunching the numbers again this weekend.

There IS a syllabus - see the Foundation web site.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 am

Still Crunching. Lot of data to corral and to align with FAA and NTSB methods so I can make meaningful comparisons.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Gmoney » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:19 am

GraemeSmith wrote:I would say "standby" on that. Peoole who have done my hours survey have been candid about some issues. There are some clear trends - though nothing earthshatteringly new. I'll be crunching the numbers again this weekend.

There IS a syllabus - see the Foundation web site.

Wow, definitely worth the wait. Nice to see what the groups focus is on the provided data.
Thank you for taking the time to gather and sort the data.

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gmoney

Postby NWade » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:08 pm

radfordc wrote:If deadstick, off-airport landing skills are needed (and it is evident they are) what is the best way to acquire those skills?

Here's a great way you can get a lot of "dead-stick" practice: find a nearby glider club/operation, join for a season, and at least get to the point where you Solo.

Glider training involves a lot of the following:
  • Practice landings with an "engine-out" - teaching you how to estimate your glide range, approach angle, and making maneuvers in order to safely hit your desired touchdown point.
  • Using slips to alter your glide-path on final approach - in gliders this is in case our spoilers malfunction; but its great for powered flying when you need to make a short approach or alter your glide-path without slowing up the airplane in an engine-out scenario.
  • Rope-breaks during the tow - this gives you the "startle factor" of a failure on climb-out and trains you to lower the nose, establish good glide speed, assess your chances to return to the airfield, and maneuver for that landing.

There's more to flying gliders/sailplanes, but just getting to solo will add a lot more skill to your everyday Sonex flying!

NOTE: If possible, train at a glider club/operation that does not use 1950's Schweizer gliders (as they fly like box-kites and require giant control inputs; very different from other gliders and from a Sonex). Places that offer training in Blanik gliders, Grob gliders, or ASK gliders will feel a lot more like "normal" airplanes (as well as flying like modern gliders).

Finally, please do not hesitate to message me if you want to know more, or give this a try! I love helping folks get into gliding/soaring, I help organize mentorship events and competitions in the US each year, and I know many of the clubs and commercial operations around the US (as well as a few in the UK, France, and NZ).

--Noel
Sonex #1339
ASG-29
NWade

Postby radfordc » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:28 pm

NWade wrote:
[*] Using slips to alter your glide-path on final approach - in gliders this is in case our spoilers malfunction; but its great for powered flying when you need to make a short approach or alter your glide-path without slowing up the airplane in an engine-out scenario.

This works well in a Sonex. I did a test flight once that ended with a deadstick landing. A strong slip got it down with no danger of undershooting the runway. https://youtu.be/45khkO4hvnY
radfordc

Previous

Return to Safety and Training