X-Plane simulator & airframe

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

X-Plane simulator & airframe

Postby BRS » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:42 am

Reading GraemeSmith's thread, on Accident-Database, got me to thinking about training and first flights.

Experience has reminded me that one needs to know how to slow the sonex down for landing especially in an emergency situation before venturing out on those critical first flights. The situation is that the sonex builds up speed rather quickly (even at full flaps) when the nose is pointed down. If a power failure or other emergency occurs on one of those early flights, it is likely a landing on/off field will occur at a much higher speed than optimal thus decreasing survivability.

This got me to thinking about the nice X-Plane (based) simulator sitting in my hangar. I tried searching for a X-Plane Sonex package but came up empty handed. Does anyone know of an X-Plane sonex model out there?

Along the same lines. If I could get ahold of a cheap (free) sonex cockpit on it's gear, I'd put the simulator in that to make it more realistic.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Re: X-Plane simulator & airframe

Postby gammaxy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:12 pm

I bought one probably 10 years ago from Gerald Rader.

It seems like his website is down. Not sure if he's still selling the model and whether it is compatible with the newer X-Plane.

Email: sales@3pointaircraft.com
Author: Gerald Rader AKA 3Point

Date: April 17, 2007
Usage: X-plane aircraft add-on
Version: 9.21 and above
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Return to Safety and Training