Sonex CFI or EAA flight advisor near East TN?

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Sonex CFI or EAA flight advisor near East TN?

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:38 pm

Greetings,

I'll be finishing a Onex after the new year, and insurance companies all want some sort of training before they will provide insurance. Most want a CFI checkout in a Sonex, but Avemco will also accept participation in the EAA flight advisor program.

It would be great to get some time with a CFI in a Sonex, but even if I can find one, I don't expect I'll fit. I'm 6'1" and 180 lbs, but the height is all torso and neck. I sat in one legacy Sonex, and I had to lean to the middle of the cockpit to clear the canopy. I had considered that I'd have make it a single place if I built one, but that was before the Onex. Of course I only have about 1/2" clearance even in the Onex. I'd love to try another two place if there is a CFI in reasonable driving distance of East TN.

The other option is the EAA flight advisor program, which I know nothing about. I've read about it on the EAA site, but that still didn't tell me much. I (think I) understand there's no flying, only briefing? Avemco even mentioned possibly being done remotely due to COVID. I've built and test flown 6 aircraft, so I'm not seeing much value in this, but if it's a painless way to check off the Avemco box, it might be my best option. Has anyone used the EAA flight advisor program?

Thanks,
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Re: Sonex CFI or EAA flight advisor near East TN?

Postby GraemeSmith » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:06 am

Take out seat cushion (OK - I know it changes the sight picture slightly) and wear in ear type headset with no over the headband. Makes quite a difference to sitting more upright. Look for a Legacy Sonex with the lowered seat pan option. Might help you through the training.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby 13brv3 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:07 am

If the seat cushions are individual, I've got no problem with taking mine out. I did that for a checkout in an RV-6 long ago. Most of the pictures I saw on a quick search looked like the cushions were one piece though. Finding a CFI in the area, with a Sonex, then adding the need to have a removable seat and/or lowered seat pan really thins the options. If anyone knows of one relatively close to east TN, please let me know.
Rusty
13brv3

Postby Onex107 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:01 pm

You are lucky you can get in a Sonex. I just got a quote for my Onex, after 25 years with the same company, and due to my age, they require me to be accompanied at all times by a qualified flight instructor. I refused to sit on any one's lap, so they rewrote it to require a biannual review every year. They didn't call it an annual review. Do you really think these people know anything about experimental airplanes?
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby 13brv3 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:59 pm

The EAA site lists two EAA Flight Advisors that have Sonex experience, and are relatively close. One is listed as a CFI and aerobatic instructor named Darwin Jones in Hendersonville, NC. The other is not listed as a CFI, Jim "Nomad" Lowrance in Marietta, GA. I'm not sure how up to date the listing is, but I'll likely try to get in touch with one or both next week. I don't know if they actually have Sonex aircraft to fly, or if they just have Sonex experience. I don't suppose anyone knows either of them?

Thanks,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Return to Safety and Training