Sonex vs RV flight comparison?

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Sonex vs RV flight comparison?

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:39 am

Greetings,

I have maybe 250 hours in tailwheel RV-8s and more recently RV-3B. I'll be finishing my Onex pretty soon, and I've started thinking ahead to flying. My expectation is that the Onex will be essentially a lower performance RV-3, but with fairly similar flight characteristics. I found the RV-8 and RV-3B to fly pretty much the same, and I expect that's probably the case for different Sonex models as well. Can anyone who's flown both RVs and Sonex comment on the flight comparisons?

Thanks,
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Re: Sonex vs RV flight comparison?

Postby Sonerai13 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:34 pm

I think you'll be very comfortable in the Onex, especially since you have single-seat time in the RV-3. (I've found that, for some reason, people seem reluctant to fly a single seat airplane at first.) Handling characteristics are very similar between the Sonex and the RV-series airplanes. However, you need to slow the Sonex/Onex down a bit more than the RV types. You want to be down somewhere in the 60-65 mph range on short final in the Sonex birds. If not, be prepared to float quite a bit!

Enjoy the Onex! It's one of my favorite airplanes!!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby pappas » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:47 pm

I have many hours in RVs. I built and flew my RV-8 as my main aircraft for 7 years prior to the most recent Waiex B build. There are very distinct differences. The RV's are and feel much heavier. Not to say they are heavy, they fly with a very light touch. The Sonex's also fly with a very light touch. It is just that they are much lighter and quicker in roll than the RV-8 was. That is saying something. The RV-3 may be a better comparison.

RVs have greater range and load capacity. The biggest difference, in my opinion, is that when we compare how much performance, divided by the number of dollars invested, the Sonex is hard to beat. They are inexpensive to maintain and feed. They land very slow with full flap stalls coming at an indicated 38 knots. An easy 10 knots slower than my -8 did. They are best when flown at 8500 MSL or below. I loved my RV-8 at 15,000 ft on oxygen. Very peaceful, fast, efficient, and it got up there quickly. It will take longer for the Sonex. Go for a higher HP engine in the Sonex, you won't regret it. You will notice a lot of similarities in in-flight handling. The added benefit is that the Onex feels just like a C-150 on short final and touchdown. Very easy to land.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:41 pm

Thanks for the excellent comments. Sounds like it's going to be pretty much as expected. Mine has an 80 HP 912UL that I already owned, so only half the HP of my last RV-3B. I don't travel, and typically just fly around the local area. I always joked with the RV that I was going nowhere fast :-) Pity I can't convince the insurance company that my RV experience is relevant, but they have a box to check, so I'll have to jump through one hoop or another.

Thanks,
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Return to Safety and Training