Waiex B down

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Waiex B down

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:27 pm

Hi all,
Local media sacramento reporting name of pilot in N51YX crash as jack davis, 73.
RIP.

WaiexN143NM
Michael.
WaiexN143NM

Postby builderflyer » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:43 am

fastj22 wrote:Its a situation exactly like this that keeps me from selling my Waiex. I would be devastated if a second owner died in my creation. I'm sure it wasn't the build with such a high time airframe.

You are absolutely correct to feel that way, John. I can think of several instances where a relatively new second owner of a Sonex has met his demise in the airplane, one even before flying it all the way back to his home airport after purchase. Our airplanes are easy to fly but can be unforgiving to those with a lack of experience in type.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261

Edited
builderflyer

Postby pilotyoung » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:32 pm

builderflyer wrote:
fastj22 wrote:Its a situation exactly like this that keeps me from selling my Waiex. I would be devastated if a second owner died in my creation. I'm sure it wasn't the build with such a high time airframe.

You are absolutely correct to feel that way, John. I can think of several instances where a relatively new second owner of a Sonex has met his demise in the airplane, one even before flying it all the way back to his home airport after purchase. Our airplanes are easy to fly but can be unforgiving to those with a lack of experience in type.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261

Edited
pilotyoung

Postby pilotyoung » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:43 pm

I thought I made a post last night about this but it was after I had taken my medicine for the night and I was basically asleep. I apologize if it bothered anyone.

What I wanted to ask is what is it about a Sonex, Waiex, or Onex that would cause several new owners, non-builders, to crash in them? I'm am sure that some of you have opinions on this subject.

I am very safety conscious and am always trying to learn.

Thanks.
pilotyoung

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:47 pm

No idea. The airplane is docile and easy to fly. It is more responsive on the controls, and clean so it picks up speed easily. I have a hard time linking this to most of the accidents though.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby pilotyoung » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:27 pm

I agree. I now have 100 hours in my Onex that I bought and I do not understnad that they would be anything about the airplanes that would cause crashes.
pilotyoung

Postby Scott Todd » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:37 am

We need to be careful about how we say things like "its easy to fly" or its "docile". The Space Shuttle is easy to fly, once you learn how. Sonex's don't fly like a Cherokee or Cessna. Sure they are fun, but most of us here are qualified and experienced. Sonex's have short wings that are straight. Cessna's and Cherokee's have lots of washout and limited control throws. We don't have either. They are great flying little airplanes, once you are familiar.

I've done lots of flight reviews, Tail Wheel endorsements, and new airplane checkouts in all kinds of airplanes. The average pilot needs training. At least some familiarity flying different airplanes. Just because someone bought it a year ago and has 30 hours in it, may not mean they are comfortable or proficient. It doesn't take much to tip stall, drop a wing and then follow it to the ground. The recent STOL crash in Wayne is a perfect example. I fly with 'experienced' pilots all the time that make bad decisions and get behind in off-normal situations. Training, training, training. Even solo flying can be used for practice and training.
Scott Todd

Postby daleandee » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:18 pm

Scott Todd wrote:We need to be careful about how we say things like "its easy to fly" or its "docile". The Space Shuttle is easy to fly, once you learn how. Sonex's don't fly like a Cherokee or Cessna. Sure they are fun, but most of us here are qualified and experienced. Sonex's have short wings that are straight. Cessna's and Cherokee's have lots of washout and limited control throws. We don't have either. They are great flying little airplanes, once you are familiar.

Yulp ... this is correct. Many of these accidents happen to second owners that bought a Sonex that was already built. These are fairly hot little planes compared to most GA trainers.

When I was researching information years ago I learned from the Nall reports that most accidents are pilot error (no surprise) but the second cause was engine failure. Many times when the engine quits (or gives indication something is wrong) the pilot either stalls and spins in trying to save the airplane or crashes because they are distracted by the emergency and lose control of the aircraft.

I also believe there is something else to consider. When I went from a nose wheel VW powered Sonex into my 3.0 Corvair powered tail dragger there was not only the different gear and landing techniques to learn ... the great increase in power makes a lot of things different in airplane handling, especially on the ground.

I had an opportunity to sell a Sonex years ago to an ultralight pilot that had never flown one. They asked if I'd teach them to land it so they could buy it and fly it home across the country. I refused knowing that this scenario was a ripe for an NTSB report. So we all might do the flying community a favor and let them know that these plans are easy to fly ... "when you learn how to do it."
daleandee

Postby jerryhain » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:21 pm

Scott Todd wrote: I fly with 'experienced' pilots all the time that make bad decisions and get behind in off-normal situations. Training, training, training.

Completely agree. I mostly do Stemme training now, but the Sonex line is very similar in how pilots learn. They are a bit unique in takeoff and landing and both accelerate quickly with pitch excursions so attitude-based speed control is very important. Easy to T/O and land but different than most GA.
Jerry Hain, Tucson AZ
Waiex Electric?
CFI Glider/Airplane/Helicopter A&P
jerryhain

Postby Onex107 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:30 pm

pilotyoung wrote:I agree. I now have 100 hours in my Onex that I bought and I do not understnad that they would be anything about the airplanes that would cause crashes.

I have 350 hours in my Onex 107. In spite of being faster in cruise, the landing speeds are very similar to my Cessna 150. I highly advise all Sonex pilots to install a commercial or homemade Angle of Attack indicator. It's the best way to avoid those stalls while turning. High or low speed.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training