Flight Training in a Sonex

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Flight Training in a Sonex

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:43 pm

Scott Todd wrote:I'm not so sure you can make an airplane LSA by just adding a placard.

This LSA is placarded to lower the RPM after the climb out.

Otherwise it exceeds the LSA speed limit.........

https://www.aviationconsumer.com/aircra ... ning-stol/
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Re: Flight Training in a Sonex

Postby Scott Todd » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:37 pm

I understand how its done. High power Sonex's are done the same way. But I believe it has to be documented in Phase 1 to be legal instead of taking an existing airplane and adding a placard. That's like taking an existing airplane certified for over 1320 pounds and changing the W&B to make its gross under that. The FAA doesn't allow that. Its all about how its certified. For us, it gets 'certified' when it enters Phase 2 and all the speeds, weights, loads, etc are documented.

Graeme know this but here is a summary for other readers. I see people confuse this ALL the time.

When a new homebuilt is presented to the FAA for airworthiness inspection, its usually presented by the Builder, as the original Manufacturer. It doesn't have any speed definitions, load limits, or W&B limits. The FAA would like to see a best estimate by the builder that looks reasonable for the airplane presented. This is where its nice to see something like a Sonex with a descent history that the inspector can compare with. If its a one-off or new design, its just a little more work for everyone. Now its up the the test pilot/pilots to go see where the airplane stalls, prove weight limits, climb speeds, performance, etc. This is ALL done in Phase 1 with restrictions. Once the airplane is thoroughly tested and well documented, it enters Phase 2 with some legal sign offs. At this point, if the documented performance, speeds, weights, etc meets the LSA standards, it may be operated by a pilot exercising Light Sport privileges.

If someone wants to take an existing EAB airplane that does NOT meet LSA standards and fly it as such, they must contact the FAA to see about going back to Phase 1 to re-certify the airplane. I don't believe the FAA typically allows this. Its a similar philosophy when discussing ADS-B requirements and airplanes without electrical systems. You just can't remove an alternator and say it doesn't have an electrical system to make it exempt from ADS-B.

Please don't quote this entire post so I can edit it if necessary.
Scott Todd

Previous

Return to Safety and Training