100 yr old B17 pilot ISO Sonex test pilot near KOBI in NJ

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

100 yr old B17 pilot ISO Sonex test pilot near KOBI in NJ

Postby moespeeds » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:23 am

Hi guys,

Last year I moved into a hangar with a gentleman named Paul who is a 6x kitplane builder. He's now 100 years old, and flew B17s in WWII. He's a very interesting guy to say the least!

About 7 years ago he completed a Sonex, and it was flown by various local pilots for about 60 hours. The plane has now been sitting for about 3 years, and he would like to sell it. I fixed an oil leak at the oil pump, and a few other minor issues, and have run and taxied the aircraft without issue. The problem is that I'm 6'3", 250 lbs and cannot safely fly this airplane, I'm just too big! We are looking for a test pilot to take it for a spin to make sure everything is ok before we let it go. We do have a serious buyer with cash in hand, but he's all the way down in FL and I don't want to let him fly it back before we're sure all is well. The aircraft has a Hummel VW engine, and the workmanship is very good.

I've contacted the local EAA chapters, beat the bushes up and down and all around. I've asked everyone I know to ask everyone they know. I cannot find anyone with taildragger time who is willing to fly this plane. We are only asking that they take it up around the pattern. If you are commercially rated, compensation is no problem.

If you could help me out, please respond here, DM me, or email me directly moespeeds at gmail dot com

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Moe Colontonio
RV8 495T
Cherry Hill, NJ
Attachments
PXL_20220913_223512501.jpg
moespeeds

Re: 100 yr old B17 pilot ISO Sonex test pilot near KOBI in N

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:44 pm

DM'd you on FB. I can probably do this - this Sat.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Scott Todd » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:50 pm

What an Honor for Graeme! Its definitely in good hands. Be sure to post a few pics and a flight report :)
Scott Todd

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:03 pm

Scott Todd wrote:What an Honor for Graeme! Its definitely in good hands. Be sure to post a few pics and a flight report :)

But not this weekend. Paperwork still getting straightened out.

But absolutely - a chance to meet a B-17 vet.
I'd pay him to let me fly the plane he built! (Well almost).
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby L2Jarvis » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:46 pm

I'm the buyer of this plane that Paul built, and want to personally thank you, Graeme, for checking it out.
L2Jarvis

Return to Safety and Training